Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I am trying to get this iPhone X working. It boots to recovery mode, and all attempts at restoring are met with an error. The last error I got was 2006. I figured the bet way to go from here would be to try restoring from DFU mode. I have been trying for over an hour to get this phone in DFU mode but it just won't. It boots up to recovery every time. I am doing the button combinations correctly, even used a stopwatch to time.
I have tried using different cables, different ports, and even different computers. One of them being a Windows PC.

Edit: Most recent error attempting to restore was 4013.

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
  1. Connect the device to a computer using a USB cable.
  2. Quick-press the Volume Up button
  3. Quick-press the Volume Down button
  4. Hold down the Side button until the screen goes black, then hold down both the Side button and Volume Down button.
  5. After 5 seconds, release the Side button while continuing to hold down the Volume Down button.
    • If the Apple logo appears, the Side button was held down for too long.
  6. Nothing will be displayed on the screen when the device is in DFU mode. If open, iTunes will alert you that a device was detected in recovery mode.

kinga

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2021
USA
Ensure you hold the volume down and the power button for exactly 8 seconds, then hold only the power button for 5 seconds while still holding the volume down. Finally, release both buttons and wait 10 seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.