Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragon4ever

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Do you feel that the X/Xs is the perfect size for a smartphone? I like having the larger screen for media consumption, such as playing games, watching videos and browsing the web, but I’m not a fan of the larger size. It’s cumbersome to carry around in your pocket and awkward to use comfortably.

I don’t find the 5.8 screen all that small anyway. Watching video content on it was perfectly enjoyable in comparison to the Plus variant. I hope Apple continues to keep the 5.8 form factor in future iterations.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Do you feel that the X/Xs is the perfect size for a smartphone? I like having the larger screen for media consumption, such as playing games, watching videos and browsing the web, but I’m not a fan of the larger size. It’s cumbersome to carry around in your pocket and awkward to use comfortably.

I don’t find the 5.8 screen all that small anyway. Watching video content on it was perfectly enjoyable in comparison to the Plus variant. I hope Apple continues to keep the 5.8 form factor in future iterations.

No. Because they won’t let you use the zoomed screen mode on it, only the MAX version or the XR.
So to me the text is too tiny. I’d rather have my 6S because of that reason.
If they put the zoomed screen on the X / XS then yes it would be a killer form factor.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Best we’ve had? Yes as it removes most of the bezels so it’s all screen.

However I feel the current dimensions are always an extension of the older model.

For example the X is the same width in points as the 6-8 models, which is based on the older ones too.

When holding an X I can comfortably reach the far side of the screen and could if it was wider. I can’t reach the top as easy.

A wider device would take the aspect ratio back closer to something useful for video viewing in landscape too.

There was a post on Twitter the other week that the XS Max has 21x the number of pixels that the original had, and yet all we seem to have is 2 extra rows of icons on the home screen.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
you know the X is basically the same size as the 6/7/8 right?
Not quite the same but not enough of a difference for me to care.
fullsizeoutput_4c1.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4c2.jpeg

Reactions: bleak7

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
For some. I'm digging the Xs Max myself. But I also preferred the original Xbox controller.

Reactions: Bacong

ipadded

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Just went from last year’s X to the Max and it’s slightly unwieldy, but manageable. I’ve had Pluses in years past and did have to use two hands to operate. The X was perfect. I do wonder how the Xr will be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.