Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ameer_1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2023
Boca Raton, Florida
I have an iPhone XR so far the cycle count is 1,428 times and the battery health is 84% for me that's great but is this normal I know Apple usually says 500 charges 80%. I don't think new iPhones will even last that long without battery change.
tempImage8aEaBc.jpg

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
I have an iPhone XR so far the cycle count is 1,428 times and the battery health is 84% for me that's great but is this normal I know Apple usually says 500 charges 80%
I too think that's great!

When I got my XR battery replaced (early last year), at the time of replacement the battery had about 1000 cycles and 82% battery health...so your battery was doing better then mine!

For what its worth, the replacement battery (directly from Apple) has 215 cycles and 94% battery health...I guess I didn't win the battery lottery with my replacement battery this time...

DamnedFool

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2019
After about 3.5 years, my Xr (on original battery) would suddenly turn off once it dropped below 25%. And once I plugged it in to charge, it would power on and say it was at the battery % it had turned off at. :rolleyes: I think my battery health was still in the high 80s? Or low 90s. Can't remember. Regardless, yeah, it was messed up. I replaced my battery right away, since Apple was raising the price on battery changes by $20 at the end of that month. ($69 -> $89).

After about a year, my phone has 95%. 🥳 No idea how many charge cycles it has...

Unfortunately, maybe 3 months ago, I dropped my phone (which has always been in a case) and the back shattered. 😩 Now it's worthless as a trade-in. And it's certainly not worth the cost to get fixed. Biding my time until I shall get a 15.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
That’s great! Mine is at 93% health after 4.5 years but with way fewer cycles. Battery life is perfect as it is on iOS 12, though.

Reactions: Ameer_1

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Is it “normal”? I don’t know. Is it fine, or more than fine? Yes.

Battery integrity, endurance, etc depends on a lot of factors. A few of my own examples:

iPhone X: Made it beyond 1000 cycles before dropping below 80% — by the way, coconutBattery and iOS reported nearly the same percentage.
iPad 2: Reached ~1300 cycles before dropping below 80%.
iPad (6th generation): This one hasn’t faired well in cycles to capacity (i.e., health) percentage, dropping below 80% at ~700 cycles. However, at that point the battery was at least two-and-a-half years old. As of January, coconutBattery reported ~51% battery health with 830 cycles. Is that because the iPad was an Apple refurb? Maybe, but I’m guessing more of a coincidence.

P.S. Remember to occasionally calibrate:

Which Apple also notes:
Apple said:
With 80% Limit enabled, your iPhone will occasionally charge to 100 percent to maintain accurate battery state-of-charge estimates.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Is it “normal”? I don’t know. Is it fine, or more than fine? Yes.

Battery integrity, endurance, etc depends on a lot of factors. A few of my own examples:

iPhone X: Made it beyond 1000 cycles before dropping below 80% — by the way, coconutBattery and iOS reported nearly the same percentage.
iPad 2: Reached ~1300 cycles before dropping below 80%.
iPad (6th generation): This one hasn’t faired well in cycles to capacity (i.e., health) percentage, dropping below 80% at ~700 cycles. However, at that point the battery was at least two-and-a-half years old. As of January, coconutBattery reported ~51% battery health with 830 cycles. Is that because the iPad was an Apple refurb? Maybe, but I’m guessing more of a coincidence.

P.S. Remember to occasionally calibrate:

Which Apple also notes:
I think that in terms of the cycles-to-health ratio, the most important aspect is time. Users who don’t put in a lot of cycles don’t have a great ratio (like myself). Users who use their devices a lot have far better ratios.

I’ve seen a family member’s iPhone 8 get to 1800 cycles before dropping from 80% after four years. My iPhone 6s dropped to 90% after 400 cycles and 3 years. Far worse.

This is especially noticeable on iPads: people don’t cycle them a lot, so the vast majority of ratios available are poor. My 9.7-inch iPad Pro has a little less than 750 cycles with 82% health in a little over 7.5 years. A family member’s 6th-gen iPad has 92% health with 650 cycles... in 4 years.

My 2015 MacBook Pro has 110 cycles in 7.5 years... and it hovers at 94-95% health.

Obviously, a heavily cycled 2015 MacBook Pro won’t be at 95% health, but the ratio will be far better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.