Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
I have upgraded recently from an iPhone 8 to the XR, and I am noticing excessive blurring when scrolling. It isn't very visible (although I do notice it) when scrolling through black text on white backgrounds at max brightness. However it is VERY visible when scrolling through white text on dark backgrounds, on low brightness. It is almost as if the phone is taking too long to redraw the text as it scrolls so it appears thinner while scrolling. With a page full of text, as one scrolls it almost feels like the entire screen goes down in brightness then up again when text settles.

I certainly didn't have this "problem" on my iPhone 8, which I still have. Do others notice this this? I design apps for a living, so I am not imagining this. Even when one scrolls in very small increments you can notice as the text redraws.

If the iPhone XR has the same panel as the 8, why do I notice this on the XR?

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
I have tested this again and it is most visible with gray text on black backgrounds. For example while scrolling in Tweetbot night them or Apollo's night mode.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If the iPhone XR has the same panel as the 8, why do I notice this on the XR?

iPhone XR doesn't have the same panel as iPhone 8.

The XR uses a newer JDI panel which can reduce the refresh rate from 60 Hz to 15 Hz. This helps significantly with power consumption but can introduce blur.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.