Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shameelza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2017
Worldwide
I have recently started experiencing problems with my iPhone XR’s camera.

When I take normal pictures or live pictures there is lines across the screen.
 This happens around 8/10 times when taking a picture depending on the lighting and how you move the camera.
 There is sometimes a 5-10 second delay when opening the camera from the camera app or lock screen.
 The issue has started since iOS 13.1.2 only, the phone is currently now on iOS 13.2 the latest.
 The issue only occurs with HDR on, if HDR is off there is no longer lines on photos taken without HDR on.

What I have tried to resolve the issue with no outcome:
 Wiping the lens to ensure it is clean.
 Updating the iOS.
 Restoring the phone to factory settings.

Example:

795-C9902-F58-E-4-D64-8374-7-D436-C92-A85-F.jpg

dailygamesnewa

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
I have recently started experiencing problems with my iPhone XR’s camera.

When I take normal pictures or live pictures there is lines across the screen.
 This happens around 8/10 times when taking a picture depending on the lighting and how you move the camera.
 There is sometimes a 5-10 second delay when opening the camera from the camera app or lock screen.
 The issue has started since iOS 13.1.2 only, the phone is currently now on iOS 13.2 the latest.
 The issue only occurs with HDR on, if HDR is off there is no longer lines on photos taken without HDR on.

What I have tried to resolve the issue with no outcome:
 Wiping the lens to ensure it is clean.
 Updating the iOS.
 Restoring the phone to factory settings.

Example:

View attachment 874669
I also have started experiencing this issue with the latest iOS shooting HDR photos.

Attachments

• AFBF57DE-1C9F-4EEE-890A-B160A2A14054.jpeg
    AFBF57DE-1C9F-4EEE-890A-B160A2A14054.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 228

sarpler

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
Question: does this happen in ALL lighting conditions? All florescent and many LED bulbs don't produce continuous light but pulse bright/dim really fast. Phone camera sensors also don't capture the whole image instantly like a film camera does- instead they sweep across and capture line by line. It's possible the phone is getting confused and picking up pulsing when it should be filtering it out. See if you can get this to happen outdoors or with a room lit entirely by old incandescent bulbs.

sarpler

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2019
Well, the question here is if this is a hardware issue that's suddenly rearing its head or yet another iOS 13 bug. If it only started recently, only happens with HDR, and only happens under fluorescent/LED lights, then it's pretty clearly a software issue regarding the pulsing.

dailygamesnewa

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
Yes, that would be my assumption as it’s a new issue. I can’t pin down when it started exactly but it definitely wasn’t there from the start.

HNfan

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
Atlanta
I have been having this issue and I went back and reviewed my photos and determined that this didn’t happen until I upgraded to iOS 13. Before that, no lines; but since then I get these very frequently. It only happens on HDR photos. If you manually disable HDR you don’t see the lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.