Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Rubbish. I don’t believe claims that iOS 12 is perfect given people have reported stuttering.
Okay, you are free to believe whatever you like.
More rubbish. You can have your opinion burnyouncant provide proof rhese claims are false.
They’re not false, they’re pathetically garbage. You misread: it isn’t true or false, it is “It has these issues, but it’s okay because it’s old”. Therefore, garbage.
Or could be more than 05%, especially with a new battery.
Another pathetic myth.
Correct. All you do is discredit without proof. That’s as disingenuous as it gets.
Very funny by you, considering you’ve never posted a battery life screenshot of your Xs Max on iOS 17.
Correction. With an a12 I can update an xs max and have a stellar experience.
Nonsense. See above.
That is a truism.
That is garbage, and it’s sad to see people who ask be repeatedly misled by update apologists. At some point they’ve gotta learn, though. If they don’t, they’ll keep having their devices obliterated.
You also can’t claim those who update will have their devices “obliterated “.
That I can do. But unlike update apologists, I provide a full picture of what staying behind entails. I go with the truth. Apologists litter their nonsense with falsehoods.

This is exactly what you’re doing there, and it’s sad to see. “95%”; stellar; the caveat not being necessary. All of that is garbage. And all of that is sad coming from someone with years of iOS experience like you. You should know better.

Somebody who reads your posts and has an iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 will expect it to be 95-99% as good in terms of both performance and battery life. That is garbage. Hell, you may even reply this and say “yeah, it’s 95-99% as good”. The person will update from iOS 12. Keyboard lag, occasionally dropped frames, 40% battery life loss (at least). Sure, you gain compatibility and features, but are you willing to lose that? I’m not the person to say that. I have my answer and this is a personal choice. But they are influenced. Because people who are update apologists repeat that garbage, and updates are irreversible. They go for them and… they’re unhappy and update apologists go “just upgrade, the Xʀ is too old”.

I can take the selfish approach of “I don’t care. I mean, I don’t update and I don’t fall for these garbage posts“, but some people genuinely don’t know. They genuinely ask. Only to be littered with falsehoods and garbage by apologists. And I will always try not to take a selfish approach to anything in my life. So I will try to help even if the masses are apologists. But combatting the wall of misinforming apologists isn’t easy. Y’all are too many.

With a little hope, the person updates, but learns this for their next iOS device. If the person has willingly stayed behind for years (many even citing fears of obliteration), the seed is planted there anyway.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I have an XR and I’m running 17.3.1. Originally when I thought iOS18 would be dropping XR support I was planning on getting an iPhone 16 around Black Friday.

But since it now seem iOS18 will support the XR, I will plan on keeping my XR for at least another year. Then get a iPhone 17 or maybe the iPhone 16 at a reduced price. Not sure if I will update to iOS18 on my XR. I will play it by ear. I never update until at least the x.2 release anyhow.

Question about downgrading. Can’t you backup your phone on your existing iOS. Upgrade and test it out, and if you don’t like it. Then restore to the previous backup to effectively downgrade to your previous iOS?
Backups only hold content and settings, not iOS itself. Downgrading is only possible when Apple signs the IPSW, and they continuously stop signing older versions.

I wouldn’t be saying any of this if Apple allowed downgrading, as it wouldn’t be relevant anymore. That would be great, but such is Apple.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
You know, that’s an interesting question. Obviously I can’t know for certain, but I believe the answer is no in terms of performance. Battery life? Probably. Earlier iOS versions are less demanding, so if an iPhone 6s Plus can give 10-12 hours of SOT on iOS 9 with an A9 chip for example, and it struggles on iOS 15, I have no reason to believe that if that efficiency were ported to the massive battery in a 15PM, battery life would be insanely good. The processor is too good and the battery too large for it to be any other way. Earlier iOS versions are less demanding, like I said: as battery sizes and processors improve, if you install lighter iOS versions then battery life will be better. You can take that argument to the extreme: install iOS 6, have Apple optimize it for the 15PM, and it would be amazing. Like I said, I can’t know for certain, but that’s what I think.

Why is the answer to your performance question “no”? Well, because my iPad Air 5 with an M1 chip on iPadOS 15 isn’t any better than my Xʀ on iOS 12. I have no reason to believe a 15PM would make my flawless, extremely smooth, and impeccable Xʀ on iOS 12 look any slower than my Air 5 on its original iOS version would, and my Air 5… isn’t any smoother, honestly. Both are lightning smooth.

I’m very happy with Apple’s iOS optimization for original iOS versions. Which is why it saddens me to see the impact that updates have. Apple can do better than this.
Well as it stands I'm staying on 17.3.1. Not because I don't want to update but because Apple for some reason wants the Apple Watch to run OS 10.4 if your phone has been updated to 17.4-17.4.1. I like the way my watch performs and the battery usage on 9.6.3. I also like the UI better than the changes they made in OS10.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Well as it stands I'm staying on 17.3.1. Not because I don't want to update but because Apple for some reason wants the Apple Watch to run OS 10.4 if your phone has been updated to 17.4-17.4.1. I like the way my watch performs and the battery usage on 9.6.3. I also like the UI better than the changes they made in OS10.
On which iPhone?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
On which iPhone?
15PM

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
15PM
Well, if you have the latest iPhone then this conversation is irrelevant for you, fortunately!

Well, perhaps I should’ve said “if you upgrade every year”.

But yeah, as far as the Xʀ goes, we are way beyond the “at risk” territory.

Any major update risks massive discontent. I’d tread carefully, but iOS users don’t typically do that when it comes to updates.

For example, it’s widely known that iOS 13 was the beginning of the end for A9 (and A9X) devices, but telling users to keep that in mind is as useful as a plane horn.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Okay, you are free to believe whatever you like.

They’re not false, they’re pathetically garbage. You misread: it isn’t true or false, it is “It has these issues, but it’s okay because it’s old”. Therefore, garbage.

Another pathetic myth.

Very funny by you, considering you’ve never posted a battery life screenshot of your Xs Max on iOS 17.

Nonsense. See above.

That is garbage, and it’s sad to see people who ask be repeatedly misled by update apologists. At some point they’ve gotta learn, though. If they don’t, they’ll keep having their devices obliterated.

That I can do. But unlike update apologists, I provide a full picture of what staying behind entails. I go with the truth. Apologists litter their nonsense with falsehoods.

This is exactly what you’re doing there, and it’s sad to see. “95%”; stellar; the caveat not being necessary. All of that is garbage. And all of that is sad coming from someone with years of iOS experience like you. You should know better.

Somebody who reads your posts and has an iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 will expect it to be 95-99% as good in terms of both performance and battery life. That is garbage. Hell, you may even reply this and say “yeah, it’s 95-99% as good”. The person will update from iOS 12. Keyboard lag, occasionally dropped frames, 40% battery life loss (at least). Sure, you gain compatibility and features, but are you willing to lose that? I’m not the person to say that. I have my answer and this is a personal choice. But they are influenced. Because people who are update apologists repeat that garbage, and updates are irreversible. They go for them and… they’re unhappy and update apologists go “just upgrade, the Xʀ is too old”.

I can take the selfish approach of “I don’t care. I mean, I don’t update and I don’t fall for these garbage posts“, but some people genuinely don’t know. They genuinely ask. Only to be littered with falsehoods and garbage by apologists. And I will always try not to take a selfish approach to anything in my life. So I will try to help even if the masses are apologists. But combatting the wall of misinforming apologists isn’t easy. Y’all are too many.

With a little hope, the person updates, but learns this for their next iOS device. If the person has willingly stayed behind for years (many even citing fears of obliteration), the seed is planted there anyway.
The above is unsubstantiated poppycock. People should know with an iPhone with an A12 Bionic or later iOS 16 or 17 will be just fine. If one has a degraded battery like me, replace the battery. You get an actual functional operating system not some has been o/s, where the functionality is limited.

All the above post consists of is innuendo. A lot of word salad with no proof except in using the word “apologist”, which is all but name calling.

My max was perfectly fine on iOS 16. Better than iOS 12 because it’s a fully patched functional operating system. 95% as good is tantamount to 100%. Only a few MR posters would actually grouse at that.

Reactions: acorntoy and kitKAC

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
The above is unsubstantiated poppycock. People should know with an iPhone with an A12 Bionic or later iOS 16 or 17 will be just fine. If one has a degraded battery like me, replace the battery. You get an actual functional operating system not some has been o/s, where the functionality is limited.

All the above post consists of is innuendo. A lot of word salad with no proof except in using the word “apologist”, which is all but name calling.

My max was perfectly fine on iOS 16. Better than iOS 12 because it’s a fully patched functional operating system. 95% as good is tantamount to 100%. Only a few MR posters would actually grouse at that.
Like I said, at the end, I can only do so much. Those close to me have listened and therefore run original iOS versions to great result. 6th-gen iPad, the iPhone 11, the iPhone 13, and others, all run original iOS versions after being burned by iOS updates and, as a result, now have flawless devices even though they’re five, six, seven years old. They are just as good as my latest iPad Air 5.

If the general public wants to install seven major irreversible iOS updates, let them. If they ask the general and nonsense-spouting apologist public whether to update, they say yes, and they’re burned, well, they’ll learn next time. I think that’s a little sad, but there’s so much I can do to help.

You know, it’s funny, because I have a friend with whom I discussed this for years, and they said that updating’s benefits were more important than its drawbacks. Until… they went too far with the iPhone Xʀ. They later upgraded to the iPhone 13… which runs iOS 15 today.

If the general public (and MacRumors’ update apologists) want to keep spouting nonsensical garbage when people ask about this, and people fall for it, it’s okay. They’ll learn next time. Funnily enough, I see that on a non-insignificant number of posts (including this one!).

So OP, go ahead. Update to iOS 18. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

kopesetic

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
DC Metro Area
My wife used her XR until this christmas when she went to a 15. One of her first comments was I didn't realize how slow my old phone was.
So I think when people say their older phone is just fine, it is their perception. They have gotten used to the performance as it is & the are happy with the experience "as is".
Unless you are are a true power user of the phone (video / picture edits, high end gaming, etc) your persception will probably be that the speed is adequate for daily use.

My child now uses the XR with the latest version of iOS on it. It is mainly for pokemon go, light gaming & you tube on long car rides. (The phone does not goto school or is a daily driver). The child appreciates the phone for what it is. So his perception is positive.

I also think that some people get hung up on comparison to newer models & what you tubers say about performance of devices. This comparison will tilt your perception to upgrade. If you can tune out the comparisons, your perception of your devices performance might be more satisfactory.

Daily battery life can be improved by turning off background updates, setting location services to "only while using" & a long list of other options (many online articles). While this seems like a work around, it is probably necessary; "what do you expect from an old phone" (lol).

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
My wife used her XR until this christmas when she went to a 15. One of her first comments was I didn't realize how slow my old phone was.
So I think when people say their older phone is just fine, it is their perception. They have gotten used to the performance as it is & the are happy with the experience "as is".
Unless you are are a true power user of the phone (video / picture edits, high end gaming, etc) your persception will probably be that the speed is adequate for daily use.

My child now uses the XR with the latest version of iOS on it. It is mainly for pokemon go, light gaming & you tube on long car rides. (The phone does not goto school or is a daily driver). The child appreciates the phone for what it is. So his perception is positive.

I also think that some people get hung up on comparison to newer models & what you tubers say about performance of devices. This comparison will tilt your perception to upgrade. If you can tune out the comparisons, your perception of your devices performance might be more satisfactory.

Daily battery life can be improved by turning off background updates, setting location services to "only while using" & a long list of other options (many online articles). While this seems like a work around, it is probably necessary; "what do you expect from an old phone" (lol).
This is the truth. I have repeatedly stated this. The degradation is not a massive, immediate jump. Major version after major version the experience is continuously degraded. So at some point, they forget. They forget how iOS 12 used to run. This is not a criticism to people’s memory: if I updated, I’d probably forget, too!

Then, they upgrade. To what? To a new iPhone on its original iOS version. “Now this works fine!” They say. They don’t remember that that’s exactly how the iPhone Xʀ used to work back on iOS 12.

Like I said, my Xʀ is on iOS 12. I have the current and latest iPad Air 5 on its original iOS version, iPadOS 15. There is no difference in smoothness. Both are fine. There’s no battery life degradation, it’s still 16 hours of light usage. Like you said, they justify the degradation: “well, what do you expect from a six-year-old phone?” Are you kidding me? Why should it be garbage?

• Sad
Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Like I said, at the end, I can only do so much.
Same. It’s tough to refute inaccurate information presented as fact.
Those close to me have listened and therefore run original iOS versions to great result.
Those around me update or upgrade with stellar results.
6th-gen iPad, the iPhone 11, the iPhone 13, and others, all run original iOS versions after being burned by iOS updates and, as a result, now have flawless devices even though they’re five, six, seven years old. They are just as good as my latest iPad Air 5.
Yes and are crippled, but fast.
If the general public wants to install seven major irreversible iOS updates, let them.
For sure.
If they ask the general and nonsense-spouting apologist public whether to update, they say yes,
Yes, the false claims of the uninformed should be banished from the internet.
and they’re burned, well, they’ll learn next time.
Or they are successful .
I think that’s a little sad, but there’s so much I can do to help.
You and me both.
You know, it’s funny, because I have a friend with whom I discussed this for years, and they said that updating’s benefits were more important than its drawbacks. Until… they went too far with the iPhone Xʀ. They later upgraded to the iPhone 13… which runs iOS 15 today.
Nice anecdotal situation.
If the general public (and MacRumors’ update apologists) want to keep spouting nonsensical garbage when people ask about this, and people fall for it, it’s okay. They’ll learn next time. Funnily enough, I see that on a non-insignificant number of posts (including this one!).
If the uninformed want to keep spouting the same b/s it’s okay. They’ll eventually learn the truth.
So OP, go ahead. Update to iOS 18. I’m sure it’ll be fine.
Basically the above is just word salad and trolling the forums. I’ll be honest my xs max was slow on iOS 16, because it’s an old phone. Rendering a Mac rumors page and browsing the website was instant on my 15pm. I doubt it’s anywhere near instant in your xr. Because it’s a 5 year old processsor. Yet I’m sure the settings app can be opened very rapidly and is that the instant response you speak of?. 😂

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I’ll be honest my xs max was slow on iOS 16
Nothing further. All of our long conversations to finally end up here. I thank you for your honesty.

I admire your willingness to sacrifice quality of use for compatibility and features. It’s an interesting choice. It’s one I wouldn’t ever make, but it’s one I absolutely respect.

I just wish Apple’s software updates were good enough to let you (and me!) have the whole cake instead of choosing parts of it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nothing further. All of our long conversations to finally end up here. I thank you for your honesty.
Yes it was slow because it was old. Just like your Demi’s slow because it’s old compared to newer hardware.
I admire your willingness to sacrifice quality of use for compatibility and features. It’s an interesting choice. It’s one I wouldn’t ever make, but it’s one I absolutely respect.
I admire your willingness to go the extra mile to provide my max was slow on iOS 16 because of iOS 16 and not because it’s a 5 year old processor.
I just wish Apple’s software updates were good enough to let you (and me!) have the whole cake instead of choosing parts of it.
They definitely are. Trying it might make a believer out of you especially if iOS 18 is supported.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yes it was slow because it was old. Just like your Demi’s slow because it’s old compared to newer hardware.

I admire your willingness to go the extra mile to provide my max was slow on iOS 16 because of iOS 16 and not because it’s a 5 year old processor.
Now this is the typical response of everyone else who knows iOS updates are harmful and accepts it. I respect that. Finally. The nonsensical part of iOS 12 is, for the first time in a long time, the first time you’ve only said one untruthful thing. Getting better. You, like others, try to convince yourself that Apple is justified in doing this, but that’s okay. If that’s your way (and others’) of accepting Apple’s malware iOS obliteration, I’ll accept that. I just wish you could try not updating for once to see what you’re missing. Unlike you, I’ve tried updating and I know what I’ll get.
They definitely are. Trying it might make a believer out of you.
I have tried it! Why do you think I don’t update and recommend others not to? Because, like others, I’ve been burned too.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Now this is the typical response of everyone else who knows iOS updates are harmful and accepts it. I respect that. Finally.
Cool. So you do agree your xr is slower than a 15pm, but to you it appears fast. Think we are finally getting somewhere.
The nonsensical part of iOS 12 is, for the first time in a long time, the first time you’ve only said one untruthful thing.
What was that. That people reported stutters with iOS 12?
Getting better. You, like others, try to convince yourself that Apple is justified in doing this,
Doing what? There is no slowdown comparing my max on iOS 12 to iOS 16. There is a heck of a slowdown comparing it to my 15pm.
but that’s okay. If that’s your way (and others’) of accepting Apple’s malware iOS obliteration, I’ll accept that.
You’re welcome never to update. I don’t care, but dont post opinions as facts.
I just wish you could try not updating for once to see what you’re missing. Unlike you, I’ve tried updating and I know what I’ll get.
That will never happen because I know what I will get and that’s reduced functionality. But I understand an car kn iOS 12 can’t be used as intended.
I have tried it! Why do you think I don’t update and recommend others not to? Because, like others, I’ve been burned too.
Others is a very small universe imo, but to each their own. I’ll be waiting to see how iOS 18 runs on your xr.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Cool. So you do agree your xr is slower than a 15pm, but to you it appears fast. Think we are finally getting somewhere.

What was that. That people reported stutters with iOS 12?

Doing what? There is no slowdown comparing my max on iOS 12 to iOS 16. There is a heck of a slowdown comparing it to my 15pm.

You’re welcome never to update. I don’t care, but dont post opinions as facts.

That will never happen because I know what I will get and that’s reduced functionality. But I understand an car kn iOS 12 can’t be used as intended.

Others is a very small universe imo, but to each their own. I’ll be waiting to see how iOS 18 runs on your xr.
Well, it lasted only a little while. Only one post. This conversation is over, and I will finish it like I always do:

Nonsense.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You acknowledged what you had to. Thanks.
Yes the xR and xs max max is slow comPared to a 15pm. That’s a fact. That’s what was acknowledged. If you think otherwise, well the post is there for you to reread.

In other news to review the basic premise my xs max with a new battery was pretty awesome on iOS 16.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
This conversation isn’t over and this very recent YouTube clip about your topic may prove you wrong

Ah yes. Scrolling and app launch times in 3 minutes. A brilliant way to truly see the difference.

That video is garbage. Firstly, like I have repeatedly stated throughout the years, performance has massively improved. This is not the iPhone 4s on iOS 9 or the 5c on iOS 10. It has gotten better. I’ve never denied that.
Secondly, the issues are more subtle: keyboard lag, occasional scrolling lag (which may not be spotted on a 30-second test), and other consistent details (which a user running iOS 12 will immediately notice). This means that it’s constant little things breaking, some lag here, a slowed and laggy animation there, keyboard lag in the middle of a paragraph, the camera shutter occasionally hangs, etc. They’re all non-constant things which degrade the quality of use. Can you call that negligible? For some people, maybe, but not for me. I have repeatedly stated that the issue is... battery life:
Thirdly, the issue is battery life. From the original to the final version, SOT is typically reduced by 40 to 50%.

So, a three-minute analysis which, by nature, can’t capture the most glaring issues, and which, interestingly, omits real-world battery life is not it.

Like I stated earlier: I don’t care if people knowingly obliterate their own devices. They pick updating’s advantages (which I’ve never denied), over its drawbacks (which are extensive and immediately apparent after spending a little while with an updated iPhone). And that’s okay. Just don’t swindle unsuspecting users with garbage advice. That’s all.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ah yes. Scrolling and app launch times in 3 minutes. A brilliant way to truly see the difference.

That video is garbage.
Nonsense. It’s just another video showing the claim if iOS updates “obliterate” device performance is false.
Firstly, like I have repeatedly stated throughout the years, performance has massively improved. This is not the iPhone 4s on iOS 9 or the 5c on iOS 10. It has gotten better. I’ve never denied that.
Secondly, the issues are more subtle: keyboard lag, occasional scrolling lag (which may not be spotted on a 30-second test), and other consistent details (which a user running iOS 12 will immediately notice).
Its documented that iOS 12 users also experiences lag and stuttering.
This means that it’s constant little things breaking, some lag here, a slowed and laggy animation there, keyboard lag in the middle of a paragraph, the camera shutter occasionally hangs, etc.
Yes, all suppositions with no citations there will be constant little things breaking.
They’re all non-constant things which degrade the quality of use. Can you call that negligible?
If they don’t happen on iOS 16 or 17 I can call them non-existent.
For some people, maybe, but not for me. I have repeatedly stated that the issue is... battery life:
Thirdly, the issue is battery life. From the original to the final version, SOT is typically reduced by 40 to 50%.

Sot is reduced by 40 or 50% because iOS 12 does 40 to 50% less work than iOS 16.
So, a three-minute analysis which, by nature, can’t capture the most glaring issues, and which, interestingly, omits real-world battery life is not it.
A three minute analysis is enough to dispel a bunch of myths about the a12 and newer iOS versions.
Like I stated earlier: I don’t care if people knowingly obliterate their own devices. They pick updating’s advantages (which I’ve never denied), over its drawbacks (which are extensive and immediately apparent after spending a little while with an updated iPhone).
Only in your opinion.
And that’s okay. Just don’t swindle unsuspecting users with garbage advice. That’s all.
Just dont promulgate anecdotal observations as fact and unsuspecting users wont be swindled with garbage advice.

Reactions: Chuckeee

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Sot is reduced by 40 or 50% because iOS 12 does 40 to 50% less work than iOS 16.
A little more common sense. Finally. Give it whatever excuse you like, but I’m glad to see you’re acknowledging it (again).

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
A little more common sense. Finally. Give it whatever excuse you like, but I’m glad to see you’re acknowledging it (again).
Absolutely. iOS 12 is 4 or 5 generations behind iOS 16/17. Doesn’t have as much functionality. Is on the cusp of obsolescence and has great sot because it’s comparatively gimped compared to later iOS versions.

But then later iOS versions are fully patched, operate well on an a12 or greater, etc.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Absolutely. iOS 12 is 4 or 5 generations behind iOS 16/17. Doesn’t have as much functionality. Is on the cusp of obsolescence and has great sot because it’s comparatively gimped compared to later iOS versions.

But then later iOS versions are fully patched, operate well on an a12 or greater, etc.
Now, what actually bothers me is... Apple can’t really do this right? Apple can’t give me iOS 12-like SOT? They can clearly code efficient versions of iOS, there’s really nothing they can do to maintain performance and battery life?

Perhaps it would work if they took more time? So one update every two years? I honestly don’t know, but I sure would like something to change. Perhaps taking more time would work.

The current standard is not a solution that works for me. I acknowledge and understand others may be happy with device obliteration and simply attribute it to “the device is old”, but I for once would like to see better efforts to maintain quality.

Perhaps I’m asking for too much though, who knows...

...but I’d love to see Apple entice me to update through sheer update quality, and not “you’ll lose compatibility, so just tolerate garbage”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.