Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone xr or xs?

• XS

• XR

Results are only viewable after voting.

davii5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2019
I have an iPhone 7 but it’s very broken, the screen, the microphone...
so i want to change but i can’t afford having the new 11s, so i have to decide between the Xr and Xs.
The prices it’s just 30€ of difference (i buy it on a different website). I’ve used both and they’re practically the same.
The only thing, i don’t know if i should buy the Xr because of the 6.1” but has less quality or the Xs that is a little bit smaller but has more screen quality. What would you choose?
(remember the price is the same)

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
XS

The screen size on the XR is let down by the bezels.

Quality over quantity for me

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Better screen on XS, smaller bezels and better build (Stainless Steel vs Aluminium). You also have a dual-lens camera with 2x zoom. The single lens on the XR can be restrictive.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Better screen on XS, smaller bezels and better build (Stainless Steel vs Aluminium). You also have a dual-lens camera with 2x zoom. The single lens on the XR can be restrictive.
The portrait mode on the XR also doesn't look as natural as what the XS can produce

Reactions: Tsepz

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
Personally the XS given the choice as I prefer the smaller size, better display and extra camera to the maybe better battery runtime. I say "maybe" because I don't have runtime issues with my XS so the difference is arbitrary for my own usage.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Isn't the 11 basically cheaper if not the same price as Xr already?

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
That’s a strange question, because the iPhone XS is better than XR in many ways, but it usually costs much more.
Are we speaking about refurbished units ? Or second handed ? Because this could change everything...
[automerge]1577191474[/automerge]
Isn't the 11 basically cheaper if not the same price as Xr already?
Nope. In Europe usually XR is 100€ cheaper.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
That’s a strange question, because the iPhone XS is better than XR in many ways, but it usually costs much more.
Are we speaking about refurbished units ? Or second handed ? Because this could change everything...

I bought a new XS 64GB last week for 679€ from a Premium Reseller… which is less than a XR. I think this deeper price cut is coming from the fact that Apple have discontinued the XS rather than merely superseded it with it remaining in the channel. It may additionally be a reflection on overall demand and stock dumping.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
I voted for the Xs, but decided to explain a bit.
I have the Xr. I’d not trade it for a Xs because:

- Personally, I don’t like the colour shift of the OLED panel.
- I find the 6.1” is the right size for me, 5.8” too small, 6.5” too big.
- I prefer the matte aluminium frame to the glossy stainless steel.
- I think the A12 chip will have more power down the line with the lower resolution screen. (But considering it has 1GB less of ram, it is arguable.)
- Better battery life on the Xr, possibly the difference will be greater down the line.
- Better value.

In the end I think you should go for the Xs, coming from the iPhone 7. Generally speaking, chances are you are going to like the Xs more than the Xr as my reasons for going with the Xr are very specific and come down to personal preference.

Last edited:

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
I chose the Xs over XR, my wife did the opposite, she wanted a bigger screen and I wanted a pocket-able smaller screen. I went from a 6s to an Xs and my wife went from a 6s Plus to an XR.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Battery life - xr
Colors - xr
Price - xr
128 option - xr

Dual cam - xs
OLED if you don’t have Pwm sensitivity - xs
Stainless steel - xs

Depends what you value

Xr for me when I had to consider both last year

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I bought a new XS 64GB last week for 679€ from a Premium Reseller… which is less than a XR. I think this deeper price cut is coming from the fact that Apple have discontinued the XS rather than merely superseded it with it remaining in the channel. It may additionally be a reflection on overall demand and stock dumping.
That’s an extremely good price.
I can find iPhone XS only above the 800€ price around me.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
That’s an extremely good price.
I can find iPhone XS only above the 800€ price around me.

I thought so too hence the purchase. In fact I was tempted by the 256GB model that was, and still is, at 849€ as it would have "enabled" me to make it my primary phone but after having it for a bit I'm not seeing how and where I would truly be benefitted by such a move. Maybe in a couple of iOS updates.

It's a lovely phone and my only real complaint to date is that the True Tone is a little on the yellow side through the day and it feels like Night Shift is on 24/7 so I've turned it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.