Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Hi, this is my first iPhone and was wondering if occasional tiny microstutters are to be considered normal.

Basically I’m not getting the buttery smooth experience all the time, i've heard so much about.

it's most of the time fantastic but once every 20-30 secs I get a tiny little microstutter whilst scrolling, browsing and navigating menus, mainly the general settings menu, and apps store, but also side scrolling app icons on the main screen.
It's exactly the same of what Xs and Xs max users are complaining about.

These microstutter/pauses are faint and would be challenging to replicate or demonstrate to somebody else, you blink it's gone. it's not as bad as on my old android either. I'm very picky and have trained eyes so i could be more susceptible to spot these tbh.

The iphone is not downloading or doing anything in the bg and have factory reset it again this afternoon.

is this normal?

antutu benchmark is in the norm.

i'm on the latest os

please let me know your thoughts

thanks

calibru_2good_4u

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2016
No it’s not normal ! I have an Xs max and it’s stuttering , glitching, lagging as hell .. iOS 12 is begging to be a real pain .. with the last updates iOS 12 is becoming sometimes unusable.... so literally I paid 1300 £ to my max but I prefer my iPhone 7 ... so at this moment apple is not going for quality, they go for quantity... even Samsung galaxy s9 has smooth animation, but my Xs max is a real pain ...

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I have no stuttering, glithcing or pausing on my XS Max. It's by far the best, highest quality phone I've ever owned. I'd have apple check it out.

mofoliar

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Nevada
I picked up an XR about 3 weeks ago, I have not noticed anything of the sort...I am enjoying the phone but i am also on 12.2 B3

luckyluca

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
went to the store today, all Xr Xsmax and 8plus that I tried have the same microstutter behaviour.
it disappears after browsing a particular app as if the OS needs time to load it and it comes back after leaving and coming back to the app. It's very faint and doesn't always happen.

I would honestly expect most people to not even notice this, and now, having seen it on a multitude of devices I'm not worried anymore about it.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.