Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sorins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2024
I need to get an iphone because my new car doesn't have Android auto and only has Apple carplay. I have always used Samsung phones and never had a problem, not looking to change my main phone as I am so used to Android. I would use the iphone strictly as a backup and to connect to my car so I can use google maps instead of the car navigation. I know the XR got ios 17 update but there is no support for the phone anymore from Apple while 11 still has 2 more years I believe but is it worth it? The phones look the same to me and specs are almost the same as well. Are there any other issues or criteria that would justify spending the extra money to get the iphone 11 model? I will buy second hand from a reputable vendor with 12 months warranty and the difference in price is about 70-£80 (roughly $100). Thank you!

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
The 11 will get iOS 18 as its final update whereas the XR is done at iOS 17. The 11’s 2 camera system gives you an ultra wide lens and night mode. That could be a nice-to-have should you find yourself without your main phone.

Because of PWM sensitivity I’m still stuck on the 11. I’m grateful the camera still takes respectable photos and video in many situations.

Ultimately you’re paying for a better camera system, additional year of support, the usuals you get with a newer generation. I’d go 11 personally as I find the value is there but if you’re just needing cheap and still reliable, get the XR and put the $100 towards something else.

Reactions: winxmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.