Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hewastl286

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
When i send my iphone to apple for replacing the battery - is the iphone still waterproof after the change of the battery?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You could ask Apple this directly. We had this question recently and a user chimed in saying that they apparently always replace the gasket for the seal as well, so it should be as water resistant as before.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
They replace the adhesive for each repair. The liquid resistance remains the same, so like mentioned above, don't count on it.

Liquid resistance in iPhones (and phones in general) is the last line of defence for liquid damage.
Keep in mind, it is not just the adhesive under the screen. It is the adhesive around the loudspeaker, the earpiece, the mics. These adhesives age, wear and tear overtime from flexing the phone inside the pocket, heat from the sun, cold in the winter.

Don't count on it.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
They just replace the same seal in the way it's put in factories. It should be as good as being brand new.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
From what i've heard it seems like once any phone has been opened don't count on it being waterproof anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.