Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okan

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Hi,

I've a problem. Last week, after an hour of cycling with my phone in my pocket, I think the ear speaker is damaged. It's crackling when I speak or listen to music(bass especially). I called apple and they are asking for 600Euros to replace the phone, no thanks.
I found an apple authorised repair shop here in The Netherlands but they said they are using a best quality replacement but not an apple original part. I was wondering if its a good idea to use non-original apple parts..What do you think?

Thank you!

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
If you had a new phone that was still under warranty, then I’d probably avoid the third party parts since that could void the warranty, but with an iPhone XS that’s not really a concern at this point.

Apple doesn’t sell replacement parts to third parties, so you’re not going to find a repair shop that uses genuine apple parts.

Your options are to pay the 600 euros for an out of warranty replacement with apple, or pay the repair shop a lot less for a non original part. As long as the shop is reputable and they will stand behind their work I think I would do that and save the money in this case.

The other thing to consider is that with apple they will give you a new (refurbished) phone for the 600 euros, instead of just repairing your speaker. So if you’re having other issues with your phone or you have scratches or cracks in the screen, then it might be worth considering going to apple, since you could get more of a benefit than just a new speaker. But 600 euros is a lot to spend on a 3 year old phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.