Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Have you noticed any frame dropping in your Iphone XS (Max)?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Zdodo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
Iphone XS and XS Max owners, have you noticed any frame dropping on your devices?

It is not too obvious, but when in an app, specifically where there are a lot of images, I've noticed frame dropping, or some sort of lag. This is only if I scroll very specifically as slowly as possible, removing my finger from the screen when the scrolling takes place. It is usually easier to recreate when scrolling like mentioned up and down, further down a feed. I've noticed this occurrance in the following apps:

Instagram (especially in the discover section)
Snapchat (In the suggestions)
Jodel
Books
App store

I am unable to create this if i keep my finger on the screen, or in e.g. Safari. I also tried this on my old Iphone SE and my girlfriend's Iphone 8 (both with iOS 12), and I could not recreate the lag on either device. However, when trying 3 different XS and XS Max models in the store, they all had this very same issue.

Do you see this yourselves and what do you think could cause this? First I thought it might be the resolution + badly optimized apps, but realized soon it has the exact same resolution as the Iphone X, so surely it can't be that. I neither believe the oled screen could be too much to handle for the GPU.

Zdodo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
No one?

I also tested this again on the Iphone 8 and SE, and I did notice now it's there as well. Just a lot more visible (although still reasonably hard to notice) on the XS due to the larger and brighter screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.