Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zdodo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
I've noticed my Iphone XS gets warm even when doing very "easy" tasks, and it does this reasonably fast (a few minutes or so). It does not get hot, ever, only warm(er), and generally at the bottom of the screen. I have not noticed such a behavior on my other phones, including my previous SE. Have you had similar experiences with your XS?
[doublepost=1540160783][/doublepost]Just to clarify, I do not need to have any intensive apps in the background for this to happen and I've closed background app refresh (for other reasons). I've also tried taking bluetooth and airplay off. I live in a cold climate, although obviously it's comfortably warm inside, and I am using the official Apple silicone case.

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
Warmth is expected behaviour. You should only be concerned if its too hot to touch and you need to let go before you burn yourself or if the temperature warnings appear on the iPhone. The iPhone is designed to protect itself when the temperature exceeds its safe operating temperature, it would display the warning and shut itself off.

You have an advanced computer inside a size of a phone. Your XS has a lot more processing power than the SE.

Reactions: Zdodo

Zdodo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2016
Warmth is expected behaviour. You should only be concerned if its too hot to touch and you need to let go before you burn yourself or if the temperature warnings appear on the iPhone. The iPhone is designed to protect itself when the temperature exceeds its safe operating temperature, it would display the warning and shut itself off.

You have an advanced computer inside a size of a phone. Your XS has a lot more processing power than the SE.

Thank you for your reply, it's appreciated and I suppose I am worrying over nothing. The phone has never even got what I'd consider as hot, nor have I had any warnings. I guess I was just surprised that it got warm in situations the SE did not, in addition to being concerned that a new 1,2k€ device is potentially faulty.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
One phone is made out of aluminum and has a tiny lcd screen with a normal inner component layout. The other is mostly glass and a 5.8 oled display with a stacked logic board. Heat builds up and can’t dissipate as efficiently as older designs..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.