Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Hey all. Wanted to see if anyone else has experienced what I am experiencing.

I have an old Moto E4 that I hotspot to so my niece or nephew can play Pokemon Go. I have noticed that with the XS, the Moto E4 will no longer connect. It keeps timing out. I tried this with 3 different XS devices. Reset network settings on all of them, and no luck.

Is it possible that the updated WiFi chip would cause incapability issues with older devices for hotspot use? I am able to get my iPhone XS hotspot to connect to other devices (iPhones, iPads, Macs and more, just not this one particular phone.). The Moto E4 will still connect to my 8Plus hotspot and WiFi without an issue.

tresmith

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
I have a Xs and a Moto phone as well and I can't get the Moto phone to connect to the Xs hotspot. It keeps saying that I've entered the wrong password even when I know the password to be entered correctly.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I have a Xs and a Moto phone as well and I can't get the Moto phone to connect to the Xs hotspot. It keeps saying that I've entered the wrong password even when I know the password to be entered correctly.
Yes. Same exact issue. I can’t find a fix.

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I got an unsuccessful connection attempt message when I tried to connect to my XS Max hotspot from my old 2010 Mac Air. The Air was still trying to connect even after the message. After about 4 minutes the connection was successful.

Once connected, I can disconnect and reconnect immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.