Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
This week I was lucky enough to get an excellent condition 6s for $100. I decided to use it as my daily driver just for kicks. Needless to say I was impressed.

A few years ago, if you used a nearly obsoleted device... iOS would be slow and cumbersome. While I miss certain aspects of my Max, I’m surprised how well a $100 phone stands next to my $1100 behemoth.

What stuck with me is how much software has changed since the 6s was released (for the better), and how it’s able to keep these devices remain current. Nothing like wizzing around the UI in dark mode and realizing it has the same finesse as my Max.

I’m receiving my new $20 battery today (the battery it came with was horrific) and will get it in here to have this phone feel even more fresh than it already feels.

I’m not getting rid of my Max, or saying it isn’t worth my money. I love it too. I guess I’m just surprised how much I love the yesteryears of the iPhone.

moderniste

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2005
I had a similar experience. I gave my 6+ to my mother and set it up for her. I expected it to feel sluggish after the new phone, but it's actually still a great phone. The only thing that was hard to get used to was the home button, which is funny because I remember how people complained when it went away.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
This week I was lucky enough to get an excellent condition 6s for $100. I decided to use it as my daily driver just for kicks. Needless to say I was impressed.

A few years ago, if you used a nearly obsoleted device... iOS would be slow and cumbersome. While I miss certain aspects of my Max, I’m surprised how well a $100 phone stands next to my $1100 behemoth.

What stuck with me is how much software has changed since the 6s was released (for the better), and how it’s able to keep these devices remain current. Nothing like wizzing around the UI in dark mode and realizing it has the same finesse as my Max.

I’m receiving my new $20 battery today (the battery it came with was horrific) and will get it in here to have this phone feel even more fresh than it already feels.

I’m not getting rid of my Max, or saying it isn’t worth my money. I love it too. I guess I’m just surprised how much I love the yesteryears of the iPhone.
Nice, I think it's also a testament to the fluidity of IOS across a broad range of devices. I'm also gonna grab either a 6s or even a 6s plus as a backup. They're able to be found very reasonable.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
I was just checking out my Father in laws 6s, my old phone. What a great phone. Size was great, screen was very good. I’m needing the large font more and more so I like that about the Max for sure.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
I had a similar experience. I gave my 6+ to my mother and set it up for her. I expected it to feel sluggish after the new phone, but it's actually still a great phone. The only thing that was hard to get used to was the home button, which is funny because I remember how people complained when it went away.
When I first used FaceID, it was troublesome and a bit slower. Today’s FaceID works better for me than it did on the X upon release, and for that, I’ve grown to like it. I don’t hate the home button or TouchID now that they have been replaced. I’d say they’re better in a few key areas. The same could be said for FaceID and the gesture system vs. TouchID.
Truth be told, both are excellent systems and people tend to heavily prefer one over the other. For me, they both work. They’re both good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.