Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I was really close to buying the X last year (needed a new phone, so it was battle between the 8 and X) and the fact that it came with only 64GB of storage, despite a $300 premium, was really the nail in the coffin in the X for me.

I do have iCloud storage, but it just feels like an insult. With the extra premium they're charging nowadays, the least they could do is include 128GB base.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I’m not sure why Apple continues to nickel and dime on storage. Their cheapness has forced me to switch to Cloud Services - Google Photos for pictures (unlimited storage) and Spotify streaming for music. Their loss because if they weren’t so cheap I would’ve had no need to migrate off their platforms for space. Seems like a dumb business decision to me.

Reactions: Breezygirl

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
I’m not sure why Apple continues to nickel and dime on storage. Their cheapness has forced me to switch to Cloud Services - Google Photos for pictures (unlimited storage) and Spotify streaming for music. Their loss because if they weren’t so cheap I would’ve had no need to migrate off their platforms for space. Seems like a dumb business decision to me.
I was really close to buying the X last year (needed a new phone, so it was battle between the 8 and X) and the fact that it came with only 64GB of storage, despite a $300 premium, was really the nail in the coffin in the X for me.

I do have iCloud storage, but it just feels like an insult. With the extra premium they're charging nowadays, the least they could do is include 128GB base.

Yes 128gb at that price point is standard in the industry now.

Funny how people are saying why should they pay for more storage when they are happy with 64gb. I think these people would still be happy if the iPhones came with 16gb. No the point is you don't pay for it, you are already paying a massive cost for the phone and 64gb is far too low memory, the phone should come with 128gb but it won't.

I will have to buy the 256gb version, stupid because I need 128gb. Look at the options 64, 256 and 512 - that gap between 64 and 256 - that is huge.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
I have almost 90gb of music on my iPhone (6S Plus 128gb) so it will be 256gb or bust. Now if the entry tier was 128gb, I might be in a quandary. The gap between 64gb & 256gb is pretty huge. When I bought a red 8 for my daughter, I idiotically got her the 64 without thinking - I couldn't use her backup as she was over 100gb. Had to swap for the bigger SSD. I always liked 128gb as a decent size. But 256gb gives you freedom. Hell, my last MacBook Air was 256gb - lol.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So the ones who find this 64gb storage acceptable are ones who don’t take photos or record 4K video. So really for you guys the new base end model will do you fine for the future. Let’s increase the storage for us who like to use our phones for dedicated photography and videography.

Well, I’m using a 64GB iPhone X, presently using 37GB of my local storage yet I have zero issues maintaining or having immediate access to any part of my 133GB photo/video library (with lots of 4K 60fps footage ;)). My 200GB allotment of iCloud storage costs me $36 a year vs. the extra $150 it cost to move up to the 256GB, I have my photo library in sync across all of my devices and the peace of mind knowing my photos and video are safely backed up.

I’m always perplexed by folks who insist on carrying their entire music or photo library on their phone yet these same people won’t spend a few extra $ to have everything safely backed up in the cloud and then lose their mind when something happens to their device and they lose everything.

I don’t begrudge anyone wanting/choosing to have a larger amount of on device storage but the overwhelming majority of people don’t need the higher tier and I prefer not to subsidize it for the minority who do with a more expensive base option.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Because they can? Their gross margin is almost 40%. There is no disincentive to nickle and dime with impunity. People won't defect to Android and it's not like you have a choice of manufacturers like Android.

Last edited:

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I’m always perplexed by folks who insist on carrying their entire music or photo library on their phone yet these same people won’t spend a few extra $ to have everything safely backed up in the cloud and then lose their mind when something happens to their device and they lose everything.

I'm not saying I'm one of these people, but considering one of the big selling points of buying a big phone with a brilliant display is so you can show other people photos/movies/etc when you go somewhere. Just because they are on your phone does not bean they are not backed up somewhere else, like a desktop, or a notebook you left at home to travel light. Yes, cloud storage is cheap (sometimes free) but mobile internet is expensive. Streaming media on-the-go is often impossible, and usually unreasonably expensive in many places (such as Australia, where everyone seems to own an iPhone X).

I don’t begrudge anyone wanting/choosing to have a larger amount of on device storage but the overwhelming majority of people don’t need the higher tier and I prefer not to subsidize it for the minority who do with a more expensive base option.

I understand and agree that Apple shouldn't be forcing people to pay for much more than they need unnecessarily, which is the undertone of this thread: Apple seem to be purposefully avoiding 128GB to force people who aren't comfortable with 64, up to 256. This, coupled with the exorbitant price Apple puts on storage, causes frustration at Apple. SSD storage has not cost US$1/GB for a very long time. Not even close, probably closer to 20c/GB for Apple.

So, we can all jump up and down in joy when Apple up-sells it's very overpriced storage because Apple's profit and stock might increase imperceptibly, but unless one has an awful amount of money invested (to the point where money would be meaningless for them) that is not going to offset the personal loss of inflated storage costs when buying a new phone.

So, ways that Apple could make everyone happy is to either release all storage tiers (64, 128, 256 and 512), although that would be seen by some as overcomplicated. Otherwise, Apple could reduce the cost of storage upgrades. If not, the (pre-tax, etc.) price of the 512 IPXs+ is likely to be US$1350, possibly more. That is going to lead to a lot of bad press, some justified, some not (just like for the "$10k+" MBP).

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I’m not sure why Apple continues to nickel and dime on storage.

Yeah, it's a total mystery.

Their cheapness has forced me to switch to Cloud Services...

Oh wait, I was wrong. There's your answer!

Granted, you didn't adopt Apple Cloud services. But I suspect you're the exception, not the rule. For every one of you, probably 5-10 more just pay Apple their few dollars per month and are quite happy to do so. I know I am. Other's in this thread are as well.

I also agree with a 64GB option. There are a large number of users out there who don't need more than 64GB. Forcing them to jump to 128, because some people are annoyed that THEY have to go to 256 doesn't make much sense to me. They could squeeze in a 128 option between the 64 and 256, but that would just raise the prices for the 256 and potentially 512 options. It's certainly not the lineup or prices I would have suggested. But they are what they are.

I get that people want more for free. And I hope they're satisfied this Wednesday. But I don't see it as an insult that they offer a phone with only 64GB. They either offer what someone wants or they don't. They can't please everyone.

Last edited:

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
I also agree with a 64GB option. There are a large number of users out there who don't need more than 64GB. Forcing them to jump to 128, because some people are annoyed that THEY have to go to 256 doesn't make much sense to me. They could squeeze in a 128 option between the 64 and 256, but that would just raise the prices for the 256 and potentially 512 options.

Honestly, considering Apple used to charge a C-Note for an extra 16gb back in the day, the $150 jump from 64 to 256 doesn't bother me. I wouldn't want them to squeeze in a 4th tier (64/128/256/512) as it would make the higher capacities price prohibitive - as for having a boatload of music on my phone - I listen to larger files at higher bitrates so I prefer to keep the files onboard. It is all personal preference. iPhones are pretty decent DAPs with the right programs.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I do not see why adding the 128GB tier in between 64 and 256 would mean 256GB and 512GB would have to be more expensive.

64GB: US$999
128GB: US$1049
256GB: US$1149
512GB: US$1349

They are the prices we are likely to get, just with the 128GB version not existing. A set price per GB for multi-tier upgrades is consistent with other products, like the 2018 MBP.

Of course, these prices are still hard to swallow.

64GB: US$999
256GB: US$1099
512GB: US$1229

or even lower would make the up-sell a lot easier to swallow, and may end up recouping the lost revenue in costs in extra purchases of higher tier models.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
For me, 64GB is more than enough. iOS has gotten so good at storage management that you can just turn on a few options and not even have to worry about it. I don't personally need to have every song or movie available at all times, I think that's a weird hoarding thing. Base storage for me works on all Apple devices.

Reactions: trife

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
For me, 64GB is more than enough. iOS has gotten so good at storage management that you can just turn on a few options and not even have to worry about it. I don't personally need to have every song or movie available at all times, I think that's a weird hoarding thing. Base storage for me works on all Apple devices.
I have a 64GB iPhone 8 and use both iTunes match and iCloud Photo Library. Works just fine most of the time, but there have definitely been plenty of instances when I wanted to call up a photo/video/song and I couldn't, either because iCloud Photo Library was acting up (happens more often than it should), or I didn't have good enough cell service (or no service).
So, it's more than just a weird hoarding thing. If they didn't charge so much for extra physical storage, I would gladly pay it just to mitigate these situations.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
I have a 64GB iPhone 8 and use both iTunes match and iCloud Photo Library. Works just fine most of the time, but there have definitely been plenty of instances when I wanted to call up a photo/video/song and I couldn't, either because iCloud Photo Library was acting up (happens more often than it should), or I didn't have good enough cell service (or no service).
So, it's more than just a weird hoarding thing. If they didn't charge so much for extra physical storage, I would gladly pay it just to mitigate these situations.
My issue is that 64GB is okay, today, but what about a year or 2 from now? I'm consciously going to be taking more photos and 4K video moving forward and even though i only use 20GB of 64, i don't want to feel restricted and i don't want the slowdown associated with filling up a devices' storage. 128 would be perfect, but it's going to have to be 256 it looks like. I'm not interested in cloud storage and i want all my music on my phone that's accessible at all times.

Also, i'll be travelling more and wouldn't mind picking the movies i want to watch on the flight, then uploading them to my iphone.

Reactions: george999

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

I never have iCloud issues so I can’t speak to those, but I would think that if the increased storage to keep everything on device is that important, an extra $150 isn’t so bad for 4 times the amount of storage.

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
I don't have to buy it yes, but competitors offer better specs for similar hardware.

I don't really care about the brand, I would switch to android but their phones still have random stuttering and the experience isn't as smooth as iOS.

512gb will be too pricey for me. It's expensive hardware firstly, and Apple will add their uplift which will take the price high.
Based on my experience Samsung seems to be the most stable Android but sometimes the email can take forever just to open one email whereas iPhone mail can do so instantly.

Matthew.H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2015
Norwich, UK
I never have iCloud issues so I can’t speak to those, but I would think that if the increased storage to keep everything on device is that important, an extra $150 isn’t so bad for 4 times the amount of storage.
The annoying thing though is the flash chips don't cost anywhere near the $150 Apple charge to go up a storage tier. Scotty from the Strange Parts vids on youtube said a 128GB chip cost him about $25 US from the electronic markets. I doubt 256GB chips cost Apple anything near that with how many they order.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
The annoying thing though is the flash chips don't cost anywhere near the $150 Apple charge to go up a storage tier. Scotty from the Strange Parts vids on youtube said a 128GB chip cost him about $25 US from the electronic markets. I doubt 256GB chips cost Apple anything near that with how many they order.

Yea I understand that. Unfortunately, Apple is a business and they will make business decisions that brings them the highest return. I don't always agree with their business decisions, but there isn't much any of us can do about it. If a product they sell doesn't provide the value I seek, then I just don't buy it. It's a bad answer, but the most honest answer I can give.

Reactions: Matthew.H

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
Back in the day larger storage used to cost a lot. Over time when the price was driven down, Apple never passed on those savings to the consumer. If you look at iPhone sales, the larger storage options sell just as well as base storage models, therefore Apple has had no incentive to reduce their price gap between different storage configurations or increase base model storage.

Reactions: Matthew.H

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yeah if you’re using the phone to it’s full snapping Live Photo’s and recording 4K60 video 64GB is really too little for comfort. With the X already commanding a premium I’d have thought they would have started with 128 as a show of good faith. If the XS plus really starts off with a 4 digit price tag it just makes it all the more eye watering.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I actually temporarily ran out of space on my phone for photos and videos because of the 4k video recording I was doing. Thanks to Google Photos, I managed to clean out about 20 gbs of content to have more space now.

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
Well, I’m using a 64GB iPhone X, presently using 37GB of my local storage yet I have zero issues maintaining or having immediate access to any part of my 133GB photo/video library (with lots of 4K 60fps footage ;)). My 200GB allotment of iCloud storage costs me $36 a year vs. the extra $150 it cost to move up to the 256GB, I have my photo library in sync across all of my devices and the peace of mind knowing my photos and video are safely backed up.

Haven't content on your phone does not mean people are using backup solutions such as iCloud. it's just that some don't want to rely on iCloud to make up for lack of storage

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If the Xs Max comes out with 64gb starting, that will be an absolute insult.

£1000-1100 phone with 64gb is unacceptable in today's markets.

They made the same mistake with the iPhone X, no surprise sales were way lower than what they expected, and no surprise they are discontinuing the X. People were forced to get the 256gb model because 64gb simply wasn't enough for power users who were spending £1000 on the base model.

Currently using 80gb out of 128gb, so I would hope for the base model to be 128gb.
I disagree.

While I wouldn't necessarily say no to larger base storage, 64 GB is totally doable if you are heavily into cloud, such as iCloud + streaming video + streaming music.

My Photos app has well over 100,000 photos and videos backed off to iCloud Photo Library with Optimize Storage, Messages on the Cloud, and my music library is synced to iTunes Match. With 194 applications, my 128 GB iPhone has over 100 GB of free space.

So if you have a beefy wireless plan, spending that extra sum toward iCloud storage could be a better option.
[doublepost=1536706282][/doublepost]
My issue is that 64GB is okay, today, but what about a year or 2 from now? I'm consciously going to be taking more photos and 4K video moving forward and even though i only use 20GB of 64, i don't want to feel restricted and i don't want the slowdown associated with filling up a devices' storage.
I think that is a problem iCloud needs to solve.

While Optimize Storage option does a reasonably decent job today, it is often too conservative. The thumbnail cache still takes a considerable amount of storage space.

In time, I hope that iCloud can better manage storage space for data that takes a lot of space: music (iCloud Music Library), photos + video (iCloud Photo Library), email (need better eviction option), and messages (Message on the Cloud)

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012

Ditto. 64 GB phone + 200 GB iCloud plan = flawless for me.

I used to want everything on my device until I realized I rarely utilized those massive music/photo libraries Now I can just stream media or pull photos down from the cloud. For music, I have about 10 GB of music downloaded on my device just in case I have shoddy service. A few movies for my kid if we’re on road trips. Works great for me.

Reactions: akash.nu and JBuck

Modernboy

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting thread. To all the people who say 64gb is enough I feel like you are missing OPs original intention. 128gb should be the base storage at the$899/$999 price point. You would still get the base model for the same price, but your storage would double. I understand everything everyone is saying about Apple's pricing and profits, etc. but being able to say that they're offering twice the storage for the same price and doubling that storage for the same price as last year would be a good PR move.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Based on my experience Samsung seems to be the most stable Android but sometimes the email can take forever just to open one email whereas iPhone mail can do so instantly.
The canned email app is not very good. Use anything else like Outlook, Aqua, etc etc it's as fast as iphone. I owned a 7 plus until last September and since have owned a Samsung S8 Plus. Email is not on my radar screen for switching to the XS plus. And there is no studdering. That's old agit prop nonsense. It's buttery smooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.