Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Last year with the iPhone X, it was said that the Silver color with the polished stainless steel bands was better for scratch buffing since you could just use a standard buffing cloth and solution just like you were buffing out scratches on a stainless steel watch. The Space Gray version had some kind of black plating on it so if you got scratches on it, that's it (cannot be buffed out).

This year with the Gold, has anyone mentioned if scratches can be buffed out like the stainless steel silver? or is it more like the Space Gray with a plating on top? I'm trying to decide between silver or gold. The Apple leather case leaves the bottom exposed so I'd like the ability to buff out micro-scratches later on. Thanks.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks guys for the input. Sounds like Space Gray/Gold is a bit harder to scratch with the PVD coating, but once there are scratches you're stuck with them (unlike Silver/Stainless Steel which scratches easier but can be buffed out).

I wish Apple had used the "diamond-like coating" they used on the Space Black Apple Watch Stainless Steel Series 3, on the iPhones. I have this watch and seriously, this is the first Apple product I used with no "protection" (no screen protector or silicon case) and after almost a year, this Watch still looks new.

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
The PVD coating is actually pretty strong, if you aren’t too abusive with your phone you’ll be alright. The silver scratches so easy even by looking at it, however, you can easily buff them out.

hellfire88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Yea I'll prob go full-on OCD and get a full-front (incl bezels) "3D" screen protector + SlickWraps full-body + case...$1250 phone, man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.