Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
The content on the iphone X was around the size of the 4,7" iphones when viewing videos (due to the narrow screen), bit less, so the 6,5 will be around the 5,5 plus size, as they're same ratio. This will of course change if videos change ratio. On my Xs Max, it feels around the size of my former plus when looking at youtube vids.

(i didnt buy the X due to this fact as I'm a former plus user, the screen was much too small in landscape. However when the Xs Max came, i bought it, as I like the plus size, and this was almost as big but without the hideous bezels). The screen however does not feel bigger than my previous 6 plus and Huawei 5.9" because they were wider (1:2). i actually better like that form factor instead of the narrow one.

theres more info on the "actual size" of the iphone x here (only mentioned screen real estate, not comparing when you watch videos)

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_x_screen_how_big_is_it_really-news-27265.php

Last edited:
Reactions: gahig ulo

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
The smaller XS is 5.1” when viewing 16x9 content (its the same size as my Galaxy S7). As for the Max? Not sure, but I would guess around 5.5”. While the smaller X and XS were physically wider and taller than the 4.7” iPhones, the Max is actually slightly smaller than the Plus models.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Hi fellas!does any of you that does have the Xs max actually measured the screen realstate while watching video content?thanks

Depends on the video you are watching. If the video is 1:1 (like a vine) it will be quite small If it is 21:9 it will use quite a bit of the screen. The iPhone XS is 19.5:9... This aspect ratio is not used by Hollywood so you wont see it often.

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
well i think the max is actually bigger than the plus model if its as wide as the pluses in viewing youtube galery etc but im not sure.i hope someone has both and can compare and show as visuals.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
well i think the max is actually bigger than the plus model if its as wide as the pluses in viewing youtube galery etc but im not sure.i hope someone has both and can compare and show as visuals.

If you are just comparing Apples to Apples the video on the Xs Max is slightly larger when viewing 16:9 content. Seen below... the width of the Max is slightly wider than that of the Plus. That means over all the same content will be a little bigger on the Max.

Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 1.34.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-23 at 1.36.03 AM.png

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Hi fellas!does any of you that does have the Xs max actually measured the screen realstate while watching video content?thanks

about 16:9 to most Youtube videos, there will be some people who did 21:9 format videos and those would blend in better with the notch full screen. think of it as an iPhone 8 Plus but with touchable screen.
it can get a bit annoying sometimes especially if you fast forward 10-20 seconds by accident haha.

i personally don't zoom to fill if it's a 16:9 because i lose the forehead and chin part of the video which did come crucial when i was watching a proper educational video :(

but overall i like it much more. oled makes watching movies/videos better especially when it comes to blacks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.