Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kostas3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
New York
iPad has replaced for me the laptop/desktop for the 95% of what I was doing on them. There are still some software that is only available on MacOS, but as I said that is only 5% of my workflow.

Given the much bigger screen of the new iPhone Max, I will explore replacing the iPad with an iPhone. I understand it might not be an 100% solution, but if it proves to be over 90%, then it meets my definition that it replaces iPad. I understand there will still be some niche uses of the iPad, such as the use of iPad-only software (think of affinity photo).

So, basically my “electronic” evolution is (dates suggest the device I was considering as my main productivity instrument)
Desktop 1990s
Laptop 2003
iPad 2016
iPhone 2018???

What do you think?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I use my iPad way more often than my phone. I have an 8plus already which is big and it has in no way replaced my iPad.

I could see this work in low iPad usage scenarios but for any longer interaction I think people will prefer the iPad for many tasks that are not on-the-move.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I have an iPhone 6s ($350 on sale last year) and iPad 2017 ($300 on sale last year). For $650, i have a pretty versatile set up that allows me to take advantage of the iOS 11 productivity improvements for iPad, which was a pretty nice step forward. If I were doing it again this year (I am not, since I try to get 3 years from my iOS devices), I would wait for an iPhone 7 and iPad 2018 holiday sale plus buy an Apple Pencil. This would probably be about $800 total, which is much less than the $1100 base iPhone X’s Max.

However, I am not a person that needs the latest technology, so this approach works for me. YMMV.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I dunno. I’m an ipad mini user. I travel a lot, and it’s my go to device for video & photo editing when on the road. The screen is also much bigger for watching movies and surfing the web on than the iphone X Max.

Currently, even when i walk around NYC, i bring my ipad mini with me in my cargo pants pocket. Fits no problem.

However, having said that, if i did have the iphone X max, i could see when i’m local and not traveling far, i’d bring an iphone x max over my ipad mini. But it couldn’t replace it.

I am hoping Apple updates the ipad mini(especially with pencil support for drawing), but thats looking more and more unlikely. If they don’t, i will nab one of the new ipad pros when they come out and pair it with an iphone X max to sort of replace my ipad mini when i wanna go light. But it couldn’t replace an ipad for more serious work. At least for me.
[doublepost=1537543765][/doublepost]
iPad has replaced for me the laptop/desktop for the 95% of what I was doing on them. There are still some software that is only available on MacOS, but as I said that is only 5% of my workflow.

Given the much bigger screen of the new iPhone Max, I will explore replacing the iPad with an iPhone. I understand it might not be an 100% solution, but if it proves to be over 90%, then it meets my definition that it replaces iPad. I understand there will still be some niche uses of the iPad, such as the use of iPad-only software (think of affinity photo).

So, basically my “electronic” evolution is (dates suggest the device I was considering as my main productivity instrument)
Desktop 1990s
Laptop 2003
iPad 2016
iPhone 2018???

What do you think?

I dunno. It sounds like the law of diminishing returns. Perhaps if you only surfed the web & sent texts. But you mentioned affinity photo. Right there you’d be denying yourself productivity. Are you willing to give that up? Can you really do everything else on an iphone comfortably? Sending short texts is one thing, but could you write long emails or letters on it? Would even surfing the web become tiresome & limiting after awhile on an iphone?

It is amazning all you can do with an iphone these days. It’s replaced large cameras & other tools for a lot of people. Still, it sounds to me like you still need a larger device for certain tasks. Instead of asking us, i’d put your ipad in the closet and force yourself to only use your iphone for a month. If you can hack that, then perhaps all you do need is an iphone.

chasonstone

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2010
Kentucky
I think there are tons of people who can and do use a smartphone exclusively. So I certainly think it can be done. I use each device really very differently but there's not too much that I couldn't do on a different device. If I had to cut one out of laptop/tablet/phone, I would cut the tablet. If I had to cut two out of laptop/tablet/phone, I would cut the laptop and tablet. My phone has been my most used, go-to device for quite some time now.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016

Desktop 1990s
Laptop 2003
iPad 2016
iPhone 2018???

What do you think?
Since Apple released the plus iPhone and with XsMax 512 GB now I have found myself not needing iPad anymore. So, I have not upgraded my iPad 3 since then. iPad is used while I am too lazy to reach my iPhone. iPad and iPhone have pretty much similar functions due to the same iOS except for certain apps designed for iPad.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
For me an iPhone when Apple can make the iPhone dock to a USB-C monitor (touch screen for iPad use) with wireless keyboard and mouse and run Mac software faster than today's MBP 15 inch laptops.

Or when Apple comes out with a foldable flexible screen iphone that unfolds into a tablet.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Wow . . lots of IF's . . like my dad would always tell me "Oh yeah? Well IF your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle!"

To me the journey that the OP is describing in their digital life reads more like an evolution of their workflow and matching machine/device to their needs than anything else. Purely a subjective thing so we are all going to have our own thoughts on it because our own needs are unique.

Personally I've found a way to balance my needs over 3 devices (laptop, iPad and android phone) and I really see no reason to try to reduce my dependency on any one of them. Doing so would feel like making compromises and I'd rather not do that - again that's a subjective thing, its not absolute for everyone.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Xs Max still has few UI than ipads...less screen real estate display and so on..
maybe can replace an ipad mini, maybe
Still, we are comparing the latest iphone with last gen ipad...i bet the differences will grow even more with the new ipads

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
Keep in mind that when held in landscape orientation, as you would when watching video, the iPhone Xs Max will have the same screen width as the iPad Mini. You just won’t have the black bars on top and bottom. The basic difference is when held in portrait orientation, the iPad Mini’s screen is wider. But in landscape mode, it will be about the same screen width, but in a much smaller body.

It will be interesting to see if many developers take advantage of that screen size and make a different layout in their apps for the larger iPhone screen.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
This week I sold my iPhone and I have used my ipad more it's too big and heavy I do most things like Facebook, camera, music and notes on my iPhone. iPad is handy for video or desktop sites or if my battery is running low on my phone.

Kostas3000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2016
New York
I am expecting my XS Max this Friday. I will try going iPhone only and see what I am missing from iPad.

I have an Adonit Snap stylus that I plan to use it for basic drawing (acceptable for basic drawing, unacceptable for handwriting if you have used the pencil before).

I also have a small portable tripod for prolonged use to avoid the fatigue of holding it.

I also plan to use a Lighting-HDMI connector to connect it to external screens.

Disclosure: I commute a lot. I am a minimalist by nature.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Nah. iPad is the mobile thing I use most often. Books, videos, reading, used on planes, trains, cars, any traveling. iPad also used for carrying many important things (data/documents) via Dropbox. Also notes, tickets, everything. A phone will never replace the iPad. Never.

Phone is for communicating (calls and messages). iPad is for everything else. No way could I give it up for a phablet.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I started using my phone a lot more when I got a 5.5" Android phone several years back. Now I've gone full circle and my 12.9" iPad Pro is used a lot more at home. I feel it's a lot better for watching things and reading than any phone could ever be.

Reactions: muzzy996

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Try the iPhone X’s Max, OP.

But do not get rid of your iPad yet, if you use Affinity Photo. An aside, Pixelmator did make a simplified iPhone/iPad app, a few years ago (not sure if they have Pixelmator Pro app now for iPhone/iPad) - which is no comparison to Affinity Photo, but it might be a way for you to get a feel of simplified image editing on the Max.

Good luck.

Given my iPad issues, especially over the last year and the price of the Max, I’d skip an iPad completely.

AgentAnonymous

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
A tablet is not a computer replacement unless you only use your computer for browsing the internet, and even then it is actually worse at that. And even for casual use cases good luck typing on email or replying to a long comment with a touch screen.

A keyboard and a pointer is much faster, and if you have to carry around a keyboard and a mouse anyway to make your iPad remotely productive, you might as well bring a laptop.

But, if it is true that your use-case is casual to the point that you only basically browse the internet anyway and thus could replace your laptop with your tablet, then it also follows that it's probably true that you could replace your tablet with your phone if you want to.

Last edited:

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
A tablet is not a computer replacement unless you only use your computer for browsing the internet, and even then it is actually worse at that. And even for casual use cases good luck typing on email or replying to a long comment with a touch screen.

A keyboard and a pointer is much faster, and if you have to carry around a keyboard and a mouse anyway to make your iPad remotely productive, you might as well bring a laptop.

But, if it is true that your use-case is casual to the point that you only basically browse the internet anyway and thus could replace your laptop with your tablet, then it also follows that it's probably true that you could replace your tablet with your phone if you want to.

Oh come on. Hasn’t this been covered to death? What you gave is your OPINION, not FACT. Many people...professionals use an ipad instead of a laptop. Just because you choose not to, or can’t means diddly. Sorry, but stop looking at your navel and generalizing based on your own biased opinion. Stop stating as fact that NOBODY can use an ipad for more than webbrowsing. Thats such BS and totally ignorant. Ugh. I get so mad when i read such idiocy. Are there some things an ipad can’t do or sotware it can’t run? Sure. But there are many things the ipad can do faster and better than a laptop for many professionals. Adobe is releasing a FULL version of photoshop to ipad pros in 2019. Please, get over yourself and get your facts straight. If you feel an ipad is a toy or not a professional tool for YOU fine. But stop saying that same opinion applys to everyone, cause it doesn’t. And it just makes you look like an idiot. No offense.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I am expecting my XS Max this Friday. I will try going iPhone only and see what I am missing from iPad.

I have an Adonit Snap stylus that I plan to use it for basic drawing (acceptable for basic drawing, unacceptable for handwriting if you have used the pencil before).

I also have a small portable tripod for prolonged use to avoid the fatigue of holding it.

I also plan to use a Lighting-HDMI connector to connect it to external screens.

Disclosure: I commute a lot. I am a minimalist by nature.

If you use your iPad for drawing a lot, you'll miss it. The iPhone screen just isn't big enough for drawing. Imagine drawing on a tiny note pad. That's the Max for you.

On the other hand, if you're a minimalist by nature, you really don't NEED an iPad. I've been doing just fine without one. I suppose it's nice to have one around every now and then, but you don't really need it.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Oh come on. Hasn’t this been covered to death? What you gave is your OPINION, not FACT. Many people...professionals use an ipad instead of a laptop. Just because you choose not to, or can’t means diddly. Sorry, but stop looking at your navel and generalizing based on your own biased opinion. Stop stating as fact that NOBODY can use an ipad for more than webbrowsing. Thats such BS and totally ignorant. Ugh. I get so mad when i read such idiocy. Are there some things an ipad can’t do or sotware it can’t run? Sure. But there are many things the ipad can do faster and better than a laptop for many professionals. Adobe is releasing a FULL version of photoshop to ipad pros in 2019. Please, get over yourself and get your facts straight. If you feel an ipad is a toy or not a professional tool for YOU fine. But stop saying that same opinion applys to everyone, cause it doesn’t. And it just makes you look like an idiot. No offense.

Agreed. These diatribes about how you can’t be productive with an iPad are just so tiresome and inaccurate. I could do the same ridiculous thing wrt a MacBook.

Good luck using a MacBook to take handwritten notes in class or meetings.
Good luck creating diagrams or annotating drawings in the field with a Mackbook.
Good luck taking photos and marking them up with a MacBook.
Good luck having customers sign contracts on a MacBook.
Good luck reading important documents on a MacBook while standing up on a commuter train.

The cheapest MacBook costs $1,299. I have a base 2017 iPad and use it with a keyboard case and cheap fine point stylus.....the whole rig cost me a little over $400. It handles all of my day to day productivity tasks just fine. If I have some real heavy lifting to do, I use a desktop with a full sized monitor, keyboard and mouse. So, why do I need laptop?? Maybe I don’t. Perhaps there are people that do need a laptop....that’s good too.

As for the question at hand, I think there are a lot of people that could get by just fine with an iPhone only for mobile computing. But, they will probably want access to some kind of device with a larger screen and keyboard for times when they have lots of typing etc.. Maybe an iPhone X’s Max + iMac would be a good combo. This set up would work particularly well for people that do most of their content creation in an office or at home.....rather than on the go.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I am not sure why you try to trash the iPad on its own board. Also not sure why anybody would still insist it’s not a computer. Has been discussed many times. It sure is a computer and at that a PC replacement for plenty people.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
IPhone will never be an iPad replacement because there are certain apps that work only on iPad. Also, the screen size even on the XS Max isn’t as good as even the iPad mini for browsing the net comfortably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.