Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryan.nua

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
Does anyone encounter after updating to iOS12.0.1 the auto brightness features does not adjust the brightness smoothly and consistently? E.g. when I am in a dark room the iPhone screen brightness is still set at just below half of brightness bar even when I turn on and off the screen.

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
Does anyone encounter after updating to iOS12.0.1 the auto brightness features does not adjust the brightness smoothly and consistently? E.g. when I am in a dark room the iPhone screen brightness is still set at just below half of brightness bar even when I turn on and off the screen.

I could never get auto brightness to work the way I think it should on my X or my current XS Max. I'll go out into very bright sunlight and it would dim itself. In the car I would be using navigation during the day and it lowers the brightness.

The worst thing is it would lower to what looks like 30% but the setting shows it's maxed out and wouldn't change until the slider was moved down until around 30%. Then when I would slide the setting back up, it would still max out at what appears is 30% even though it's set to the highest setting. I got tired of messing with it and just turned it off.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Calibrate it properly. Be in a pitch black area if possible, have auto brightness on, then manually slide it the brightness you want in that dark scenario (or all the way down). Same for max brightness in the brightest areas.

Reactions: Kram Sacul

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
When issues like this happens, i like to go into Settings >> General >> Accessibility >> Display Accommodations, slide "Auto-Brightness" to OFF, then turn it back on again..

Software Updates happen to sometimes break things ? *shrugs*

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Was this fixed for anybody?

Our household has this issue across all our iPhones and iPads.

This has persisted across multiple iOS updates. Started around iOS 13.3 I think.

What hasn’t worked:

DFU Restore - Starting without backup,

Recovery Mode Restore

iMazing Full Restore

Reset all settings

Resetting Autobrightness

Manual Calibration

Problem with at least 4 iPhones and at least 3 iPad Pros.

Nothing has helped us so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.