Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
My Max has done this twice since launch. Once in January and happened last week. The Up, Down, hold power for 10 seconds worked both times. I also reached out to support and they ran hardware diagnostics and found no issues there. I've encountered more little annoying glitches with the Max over every other iPhone I've owned.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Fingers crossed they’ve resolved the issue on mine as its been stable. The only thing they did differently last time was to restore the phone as a new phone, but plugged in to iTunes rather than just doing it over the air. Apparently if you update over the air, the base firmware isn’t re-flashed, so if there’s something corrupt in there, its going to still be there.

SnyG

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Mine did this on Friday. Put it in my pocket working fine, took it out of my pocket 10 minutes later and it was completely dead. Almost ran home, plugged it in at the wall, nothing worked for about over an hour until eventually the screen came on telling me to plug it into iTunes. No data loss thankfully, but concerning. Hopefully it’s just software?

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
I have this issue on my 1.5 months old iphone xs max. I'm on my 2nd xs max - the first one was replaced after diagnostics from apple that they were unable to power it back on. The 1st replacement which I am using right now had one instance of a black screen a few days ago running the latest ios 12.2. I find it really bizarre that the replacement has the same issue. Hopefully this is a software glitch that they are aware of.

It's disappointing to see my very expensive iphone xs max isn't stable like my old iphone 6+ I replaced. Apple's quality control definitely has gone down over the years.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I have this issue on my 1.5 months old iphone xs max. I'm on my 2nd xs max - the first one was replaced after diagnostics from apple that they were unable to power it back on. The 1st replacement which I am using right now had one instance of a black screen a few days ago running the latest ios 12.2. I find it really bizarre that the replacement has the same issue. Hopefully this is a software glitch that they are aware of.

It's disappointing to see my very expensive iphone xs max isn't stable like my old iphone 6+ I replaced. Apple's quality control definitely has gone down over the years.
And yet others had different experiences with both the iphone 6 and the max. One anecdotal case is not indicative that quality control has gone "downhill", given a percentage of units always has issues (from every manufacturer)

Reactions: NJHitmen

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
And yet others had different experiences with both the iphone 6 and the max. One anecdotal case is not indicative that quality control has gone "downhill", given a percentage of units always has issues (from every manufacturer)

Defend apple all you want. It doesn't appear to me that I'm the only one w/ the issue.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Defend apple all you want. It doesn't appear to me that I'm the only one w/ the issue.
The flip side is issues have been have been happening for iPhone releases for many years. And while I hope you get any issues ironed out, there is no evidence to support your assertion, other than a wet finger in the air.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
The flip side is issues have been have been happening for iPhone releases for many years. And while I hope you get any issues ironed out, there is no evidence to support your assertion, other than a wet finger in the air.

And neither is there evidence to support your assertion.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010

This, exactly. Here's another anecdote: my old 6 was the only iPhone I've ever had that simply crapped out. Wouldn't even turn on. The timing was pretty good, since this failure occurred just days before the 7 was released. Because my subsequent iPhones never died - I guess that means Apple's QC has actually improved over the years!

At least, across a sample size of n=1.

To be clear: I think one could certainly make the case that on some level, Apple's QC has indeed declined. However, one's own personal experience will not effectively make that case.

Reactions: I7guy

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
This, exactly. Here's another anecdote: my old 6 was the only iPhone I've ever had that simply crapped out. Wouldn't even turn on. The timing was pretty good, since this failure occurred just days before the 7 was released. Because my subsequent iPhones never died - I guess that means Apple's QC has actually improved over the years!

At least, across a sample size of n=1.

To be clear: I think one could certainly make the case that on some level, Apple's QC has indeed declined. However, one's own personal experience will not effectively make that case.

I won't repeat what I said earlier. You're allowed to disagree, it's within your prerogative and I will certainly agree to disagree.

Reactions: NJHitmen

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And neither is there evidence to support your assertion.
Since there seems to some pedanticism, a simple google search with one hit per phone number would prove the point.

As for "defending Apple", I'm defending my experiences and making a claim based on my experiences...just like you are.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Since there seems to some pedanticism, a simple google search with one hit per phone number would prove the point.

As for "defending Apple", I'm defending my experiences and making a claim based on my experiences...just like you are.

Thanks for pointing it out. Likewise.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Thanks for pointing it out. Likewise.
Correct. There is no evidence to support Apple quality control on iPhones has gone downhill since the iPhone 1. In fact it probably has gotten better due to better technology and processes. If you have hard evidence I’d like to read it.

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
Correct. There is no evidence to support Apple quality control on iPhones has gone downhill since the iPhone 1. In fact it probably has gotten better due to better technology and processes. If you have hard evidence I’d like to read it.

Since you're disputing otherwise, I'd like to believe your claim if you have evidence as well.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

The black screen bug as appeared time and time again since the iPhone 4. It can appear once in a blue moon or occur more often and can effect all iOS devices. Not had it on my XS Max yet but had it on my week old iPad Pro 12.9 3rd gen. reset and carry on, not had it since.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Since you're disputing otherwise, I'd like to believe your claim if you have evidence as well.
Purposely worded as an opinion, with the word “probably”. But we've come full circle. We don't have access to Apple manufacturing metrics to know about their quality assurance and control. There is only anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:

vaugha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2011
The black screen bug as appeared time and time again since the iPhone 4. It can appear once in a blue moon or occur more often and can effect all iOS devices. Not had it on my XS Max yet but had it on my week old iPad Pro 12.9 3rd gen. reset and carry on, not had it since.

If this bug really indeed affects ipads like you said, then I'm steering clear of it until it's fully resolved. It was under my radar recently, but your post made my suspicion clear.

Purposely worded as an opinion, with the word “probably”. But we've come full circle. We don't have access to Apple manufacturing metrics to know about their quality assurance and control. There is only anecdotal evidence.

You said so.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Last edited:

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
If this bug really indeed affects ipads like you said, then I'm steering clear of it until it's fully resolved. It was under my radar recently, but your post made my suspicion clear.

You said so.
It’s been a random issue for years. Happens so randomly though it’s a non issue. I’m guessing you have never used a windows pc, Mac, android device, windows mobile device. Blue screens, kernel panic, device freezing and lockup’s.

putterball

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2019
USA
This is happening to my iXs Max as well. It shuts down, and restarts all by itself. It's happening with a 2-5 minute interval.

Any word about how to get that fixed. I already have a short attention span, fits me I guess, but it's a terrible annoyance nonetheless!

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.