Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamalien

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Anyone else have this? Gets very hot very quickly - screen brightness dims within 30 seconds. Bizarre behaviour when all I’m doing is typing…

MJigolf

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2021
Mine too, but it is an 2020 SE. Started after utdate to IOS 14.5. Strange, only overheat using Safari. Can play games on the phone without overheating.
Switched to Opera for browsing, working fine.

Reactions: Jamalien

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
Happened to me when using Chrome so I deleted it. Still happens on some sites with Safari.

Reactions: Jamalien

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
Anyone else have this? Gets very hot very quickly - screen brightness dims within 30 seconds. Bizarre behaviour when all I’m doing is typing…
I’ve been having the heat issue since updating to 14.5 when using Safari as well, particularly when I’m on MacRumors. I haven’t had the screen dimming yet, though. This only seems to happen when using the internet, apps seem fine.

EDIT: I’m using a 12 Pro Max.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
For troubleshooting purposes, disable Java Script in Safari settings and see if that cools it down. Most websites require java script to be able to work properly- so disabling it isn't a real solution, but if the phone doesn't get hot with it disabled, then at least you know the culprit.
I'm using an old iPhone on an old version of iOS and it never gets hot doing anything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.