Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
My iPhone XS Max has a strange crackling sound in the earphone the first 3-4 seconds when making an outgoing call. It only happens when there is a tone on the other side (and only during the first tone), never if a voice kicks in at once without a tone (like when calling voice mail).

It also happens when a headphone is connected, which makes me think it’s a software problem.

It happens at every outgoing call, never any incoming call.

Has any one else seen a similar problem? I don’t want to go through the trouble of exchanging the phone if it’s a software problem like it was on the 8 and 8 plus last year.

Thanks for any input.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I’ve seen weird sound issue. Restore as new and see if the issue is there. If not, it’s something in your backup. Restore and then refresh the os by reinstalling. Can’t remember if it’s called a dfu or not. It will restore the os but maintain the data.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
I’ve seen weird sound issue. Restore as new and see if the issue is there. If not, it’s something in your backup. Restore and then refresh the os by reinstalling. Can’t remember if it’s called a dfu or not. It will restore the os but maintain the data.
Thanks but I have even tested to start the phone straight from the box by setting it up as new. Same problem.

What I would need is for someone with the same iPhone to try it out since I suspect it’s a firmware problem (read my post why I think so).

Please... someone with an iPhone XS Max—can you test this and get back with the result?

cmbarclay

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
My iPhone XS Max has a strange crackling sound in the earphone the first 3-4 seconds when making an outgoing call. It only happens when there is a tone on the other side (and only during the first tone), never if a voice kicks in at once without a tone (like when calling voice mail).

It also happens when a headphone is connected, which makes me think it’s a software problem.

Has any one else seen a similar problem? I don’t want to go through the trouble of exchanging the phone if it’s a software problem like it was on the 8 and 8 plus last year.

Thanks for any input.

I am having exactly the same problem.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
I am having exactly the same problem.
Thank you so much for trying it out and responding. Now I’m sure it’s not a hardware fault with my unit and you saved me valuable time from doing an exchange.

Lillian Tan

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018

Thanks for any input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.