Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Every day after 6 Pm they turn off the availability and the next day at 8 AM it comes back. So check tomorrow morning. I've seen this every day on my apple store app where after 6 pm it disables and at 8 am it re-enables it.

Why would they do that when the store closes at 9pm. Seems counterproductive if someone is looking for stock to buy between 6pm and 9pm when they get off work.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Why would they do that when the store closes at 9pm. Seems counterproductive if someone is looking for stock to buy between 6pm and 9pm when they get off work.
That's how they have been doing it for launch week. Also any other day, when things die down, Once the clock turns 8 PM, the in-store pick up available changes to next day. You can check this yourself on the iPhone 7 or 8 and you'll see that typically after 8 pm is when it switches to next day store pick up.

I'm pretty sure in a couple of weeks, the XS and XS Max will be back to normal where you can pick it up on the same day if you order before 8 PM.

Edit: Plus I've been monitoring this daily and that's what I have been seeing so far.
[doublepost=1538711183][/doublepost]Also, just because the apple store app or apple.com shows it unavailable for pick up doesn't necessarily mean they are sold out. Even if they disable this at 6 PM, you can still walk to the Apple store and still be able to pick one up.

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I think that might have to do with store pickup when ordered online. Maybe after certain rime they cannot schedule pickup on the same day.

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
The Apple Store in my area (capital region, Upstate NY) had been getting stock everyday. Usually posts about 8:00am every morning.
[doublepost=1538712453][/doublepost]
Probably to make it look like they are selling out everyday. Low demand for a new iPhone is embarrassing for Apple. There's really no other excuse for it..

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Just yesterday they had the Iphone Xs Max 256 GB gold in stock at 12 stores near me. And when I checked today they are not available anywhere! Not in any color!

Does anyone have any idea whats going on?
Were you checking online at Apple.com and at what time were you checking the availability of the XS MAX in the 12 stores? The inventory is actually there. Apple somehow disables the inventory at least an hour or two before store closing. If you go back to Apple.com at around 9-930AM tomorrow, inventory will reappear. It's strange Apple does this. I think it has to do with the appointments. Appointments for iPhone pick-up is only available the same day. As the store nears closing, inventory of XS/XS Max will not show since you won't be able to set up an appointment time.

Reactions: kawalerzysta

HOTBOBA

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
The Apple Store in my area (capital region, Upstate NY) had been getting stock everyday. Usually posts about 8:00am every morning.
[doublepost=1538712453][/doublepost]
Probably to make it look like they are selling out everyday. Low demand for a new iPhone is embarrassing for Apple. There's really no other excuse for it..

The stores near me have been running out daily. The regular XS model is always in stock.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

You definitely are over exaggerating and/or are over-assuming. Apple Being a hardware company, has zero incentive to limit sales and there no value in artificially limiting iPhones, and they certainly don't need to resort to this type of behavior make it ‘look like they are selling out everyday’. They sell millions of iPhones and manufacturer 600,000 units a day, and the amount of logistics with iPhone Manufacturing/delivering across the world is far more advanced than you’re making it appear.

Last edited:

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
It's because the appt. slots are filled so they disable inventory as it is link to making an appt. They probably don't want to enable inventory in the off chance you come to the store the next day, ask for a specific iPhone you saw available, and someone before you in line had already purchased it and you go psycho-ballistic on the poor apple guy/girl.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.