Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dharma-P

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
I'm currently rocking my 4 year old iPhone XS Max and I was wondering if other people that have the same phone are looking into upgrading this year. Why and why not?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I kinda want to but kinda don’t want to. It’s a bit of struggle. Mostly on the money side. iPhone 14 pro max will be huge improvements but iPhone XS Max on iOS 16 isn’t any slower than iPhone 6s Plus on iOS 15 or sth either. I guess if I want to upgrade I’d look very close into camera improvements before pulling the trigger.

joshen

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
I'm almost certain I'm upgrading, mostly due to the camera improvements. Probably to the 6.1" Pro and not the Max tho, the XSM 6.5" is as big as I'm willing to go.

Reactions: Dulcimer

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I held out for 4 years on my XS Max since every year the improvements are incremental but over several it adds up to a lot.

One thing I was really hoping for was USB-C but I don’t think I want to wait one more year. I want those massive camera improvements including:

- Much larger sensor: from a 1/2.55″ sensor to a rumored 1/1.3” sensor (~2.3x larger area)
- 48MP + pixel-binning
- Ultra Wide
- Night Mode
- 3x telephoto
- Sensor shift stabilization
- 7 element lens
- Dual pixel autofocus

I barely understand some of the but seems like a great update :) Nevermind all the other improvements like:
- far bigger battery
- no more notch (pill now)
- LiDAR
- UWB support
- much better Wifi
- 5G

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I still have my XS Max and pulled it out this morning. It’s still one of Apple’s most beautiful devices. If it didn’t have Intel, I probably would’ve still been using it.

• Love
Reactions: Student of Life

webwbr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
You can bet iPhone 14 series will not have usb c. We will know in about a week.

100% no usb-c coming this year… THAT would make me upgrade, but I’m going to hold out one more year as I believe the next generation will have it.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Im going to go from the 11PM to a 14PM. My fiance has the 8, so Ill give her my 11PM. I would also like the USB-C, but its not a deal breaker for me.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I still have my XS Max and pulled it out this morning. It’s still one of Apple’s most beautiful devices. If it didn’t have Intel, I probably would’ve still been using it.
We still have it and it’s still an awesome phone. Display is awesome. Way better to hold in hand. Honestly use wise nothing much has changed in how I use my iPhones. Xs max still takes great pics with its bright display.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
We still have it and it’s still an awesome phone. Display is awesome. Way better to hold in hand. Honestly use wise nothing much has changed in how I use my iPhones. Xs max still takes great pics with its bright display.

Yes it does. I love the gold finish of the device. This is one device I couldn’t see myself selling. Having it unlocked is a bonus.

Reactions: 1rottenapple

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Yeah, a caseless iPhone XS Max is really something to behold.

There hasn't been like a jumbo sized iPhone X design, since the XS Max style was for one year only since the next year the 11 Pro Max got the triple camera set up which has basically continued on to this day (minus squared edges now)

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
Honestly I love my Xs Max. The main reason I would be tempted to upgrade would be the removal of the notch and the better camera. Once Apple perfects the under display camera im buying that in a heart beat. Also the periscope camera is rumored to come out on the 15 pro, so thats a big reason to wait for next years model.

pigment

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2022
I am current using an iphone XS Max. I got an offer from my boss to update it to a new iphone. The offer is limited to a price cap. Is it worth to updated to the iphone 14 pro max, which I need pay about £300 out of my own pocket? or a iphone 12 pro max will be free for me. Thanks for any suggestion.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I am current using an iphone XS Max. I got an offer from my boss to update it to a new iphone. The offer is limited to a price cap. Is it worth to updated to the iphone 14 pro max, which I need pay about £300 out of my own pocket? or a iphone 12 pro max will be free for me. Thanks for any suggestion.
Is this your only phone? What happens to the phone if you leave the job?

If you're giving your employer £300 to use a nicer phone, then I'd say no way. If your employer is giving you money for a phone that you personally will own then I'd upgrade to the 14 PM.

Reactions: John dosh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.