Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titrau

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
5F6A0210-39A6-4DE5-9362-5B4053E96A2A.jpeg
I really feel warm when making facetime video call , feel really warm handling , does anyone have this issue yet ???

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
FaceTime requires a lot of power. It’s pretty natural for devices to get warm depending on a lot of factors. It will be alarming if the device was getting warm just sitting idle or while you’re doing seemingly normal/ less demanding tasks.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Mine got darn warm during the initial setup... once everything got installed and in place I've not noticed it getting that warm again. I used FaceTime tonight with my son for about 20 minutes and I didn't feel it get much warmer than it does when it's charging.

titrau

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
I think new gold brass make by steel , so when iphone getting warm a material feel more hot than aluminum one ,

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I noticed something similar when I got mine yesterday while setting it up: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/xs-max-overheating.2140390/#post-26535088. It still does get warm easily for example when I'm browsing Facebook or Safari. That would happen as well with my previous 8 Plus but not as much with the 8. I guess extra large phones are more prone to warming?

Facebook is the culprit there. My device performance is generally much better since I got rid of that app.

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
My Xs Max becomes warm when under load right below the camera for about 2 fingers width.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Facebook is the culprit there. My device performance is generally much better since I got rid of that app.

And warming and dimming brightness when playing with Memojis/Animojis after like 5 to 10 minutes? Is it normal?

cwilliams706

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Columbus, GA
I haven’t noticed any warming issues with the device yet, especially during the restore process or while making a FaceTime video call. I’ll pay more attention to it today and report back with my findings.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
And warming and dimming brightness when playing with Memojis/Animojis after like 5 to 10 minutes? Is it normal?

That sounds a bit weird. I’ve been playing with them as well but nothing like that is happening on my device.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
#warmgate :p

The only time I've had my X get too hot, is mistakenly leaving a game running. Normal usage, like FaceTime, or phone calls, do not cause any appreciable heat. Doesn't the Xs have more cores? Might be similar what's happening with the MBP, more cores in a thin enclosure = more heat

Reactions: Crazyj414

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
That sounds a bit weird. I’ve been playing with them as well but nothing like that is happening on my device.

#warmgate :p

The only time I've had my X get too hot, is mistakenly leaving a game running. Normal usage, like FaceTime, or phone calls, do not cause any appreciable heat. Doesn't the Xs have more cores? Might be similar what's happening with the MBP, more cores in a thin enclosure = more heat

I don't know what to think. It's not like it gets burning hot, but it gets noticeably warm. It's still hot where I live, summer weather, even though it's fall already. Maybe the air temperature either inside and outside also play a role.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
I do about 1 hour of FaceTime with my brother every Sunday. My X would only get slightly warm. Never hot. I am betting the MAX will be the same.
Yeah my Max got warm just like my X when FaceTiming last night. I imagine the first day, everything is still processing on the phone, so FaceTime is adding to the process and causing more heat. Give a few days while the phone indexes everything and things should be fine.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah my Max got warm just like my X when FaceTiming last night. I imagine the first day, everything is still processing on the phone, so FaceTime is adding to the process and causing more heat. Give a few days while the phone indexes everything and things should be fine.

I agree. My MAX only got slightly warm this last Sunday.

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
My Max has stopped warming as it did on the first couple of days after setting it up. So I guess it was indeed due to indexing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.