Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a glass screen protector when you have Apple Care?

• Yes

Votes: 38 40.9%
  • NO

Votes: 55 59.1%

• Total voters

iPhone XS Max

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
I’ve been useint the tempered glass screen protectors for years and I always opted out of AppleCare because the screen protectors were cheap and did it’s job. I hated the feel of them and always wished the screen was the way it was supposed to be. Last year I finally got AppleCare and I hadn’t dropped the screen even once since. (Well not cracked it)

$29 to fix is worth the security to know if things go bad, you can fix the screen as well as $99 to fix if serious damage.

Anyone else stop using a screen protector or is it just me who feels like this now?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Yesterday I had to visit the Apple Store to have my X looked at. 2 weeks ago I had left my phone on the dashboard in my truck and had a temperature warning that it needed to cool down before using it again. Because of that the sensors in the notch couldn’t register the ear piece for me to hear calls. I had to get the screen replaced, which would have caused me to pay $279, which thankfully because of AppleCare, I didn’t have to pay it. I do have a tempered glass screen protector which had a long crack in it and protected my screen from being cracked, which of course they wouldn’t have replaced that without being fixed first.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I've never understood the use of screen protectors. Just don't throw your phone in a pocket or purse with a bunch of other crap in there and you're all set. For me keys and coins go in one pocket, the phone in another. Never a scratch and never had to look at the screen through a film or some kind of tempered glass.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
Yeah I do, because AppleCare doesn't cover scratches, and you can't be too careful.

Actually, it does “cover” scratches since you can get your screen replaced twice for $29. I went without a protector for the first time with my X and just recently used AppleCare to get a new screen since it had a few scratches. They weren’t that noticeable but why not use it when you deem it’s worth it?

Last edited:

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I used to use them but never again. Just not worth covering up that beautiful screen. I have AppleCare+ and will get screen replaced in a heartbeat if necessary.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I've never understood the use of screen protectors. Just don't throw your phone in a pocket or purse with a bunch of other crap in there and you're all set. For me keys and coins go in one pocket, the phone in another. Never a scratch and never had to look at the screen through a film or some kind of tempered glass.

Thats what i thought and then my 7 Plus ended up with some random hairline scratches. Did nothing special to it. It just happened

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I always have carrier insurance/ Apple care on all my phones but still get a screen protector because I want the insurance to be there for accidents not things that were inevitable because I didn’t have a screen protector on. Not only would I have to pay for the deductible but I’d have to make an appointment at the Genius Bar/send my phone away. I want to avoid that where possible.

Micro scratches on my phone would get on my nerves because I’m very OCD.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I have Apple Care Plus on my iPhone XS Max and also had a Belkin screen protector fitted by Apple. However, somehow the top edge of the screen protector has cracked and it's driving me nuts! No idea how I did it but am now contemplating removing it and not using any screen protector.

Quapla

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2019
It’s not your keys that scratch your screen, it’s sand and dust. If you use your phone outdoors it is inevitable sand and dust will come in contact with your iPhone.

Reactions: Harthag and rattler

Larbo

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
I always use a screen protector, AppleCare or no AppleCare. There is no reason to not use one.

Also no reason not to use a good case.
XS with otter box defender and alpha glass screen protector.
Yes I had to retire my se.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I just use the minimalist Apple leather case and that's it. No screen protector needed. I just use the case because with all in glass design, the naked phone sliding hands sometimes and I just want to prevent from falling.

Duckhunter

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
I always use a glass screen protector on my iPhones. No reason not to, and I have a hard time telling the difference in screen quality with vs without a screen protector!

Reactions: MisterMillz

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
I've had every iPhone since the original, and have never used a screen protector. Hate the way they look and feel, and never have scratches on my screens.
[doublepost=1556230611][/doublepost]
I always use a screen protector, AppleCare or no AppleCare. There is no reason to not use one.

There are plenty of reasons not to use one. I hate the way they look and feel, for one, and two, they are completely unnecessary for me.

Pstein15

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
I use the Apple Folio cases. They protect the screen, although not rugged in case of a bad drop. $ 129 at Apple, but a lot less on EBay. BB runs 50% off sales on selected colors.
Disadvantage. Need two hands to snap a photo. You need to hold the cover back.
Advantage. Holds my license, one credit card, medical card. Can leave my wallet at home.
Often forget my wallet, but never my phone.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I had one on mine, but took it off. I’ve got AppleCare+ too if I need it. None of my other insurance will cover my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.