Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
I notice the IPhone XR can do portrait mode with one lens, so I’m a little disappointed to find that on the XS it only supports portrait mode on the 2X lens.

Surely if it’s done via machine learning it should work on both lenses?

Or am I totally missing a button to go back to wide angle in portrait mode?

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2007
Seeing as the XR is in the news today I thought I’d bring this up again.

Hasn’t anyone else realised we’re missing it on the XS?

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
There is no wide-angle portrait in the XS or XS Max. That is an XR only feature.

Maybe we will get it one day as an upgrade. Maybe we won’t. Who knows.

Portrait mode has only been done with the tele lens since its inception, and will continue to be so until the release of the XR next week.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Wide angle computer generated fake background blur is a very artificial look. Wide angle lenses in the real world when taking photos of images a few feet away can't physically do that unless you've purchased a giant, expensive super fast lens. Nobody really uses those lenses.
Wide angle lenses are typically used for environment shots, hopefully getting everything in focus.

Mild telephoto lenses on real cameras are typically used for portraits and by their nature have a narrower depth of field which creates the blurred background.

The fake background blur of the XR is just a gimmick Apple added to the XR wide angle camera because they could. It doesn't look "real".

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
There is no wide-angle portrait in the XS or XS Max. That is an XR only feature.

Maybe we will get it one day as an upgrade. Maybe we won’t. Who knows.

Portrait mode has only been done with the tele lens since its inception, and will continue to be so until the release of the XR next week.
What? Xr has wide portrait? Pretty sure the front camera is the same on both.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I don’t think the XS will get portrait mode on the main lens, probably because it’s a cheap gimmick for the XR.

The portrait mode on the XR seems to just cut around the subject and apply a depth effect.

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2010
Yea if Apple employs it in the Xs/Max it will be a real step back. It’s a gimmick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.