Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
I’ve noticed on my XS that when scrolling I’m getting a red/green ghosting of images and text. Is anyone else seeing this? Most noticeable at night with the screen dimmed and night shift on, although I can still see it with night shift off. It’s quite annoying to see this when scrolling.

Reactions: Falcon9 and MAXAAPL

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
No op not normal at all.

Contact apple support through the app and they will sort you out.

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Was afraid of that. Seems like it only happens with the brightness at its lowest setting. Once it comes up a bit it stops. Must be why I’m only seeing it at night.

Samut

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Was afraid of that. Seems like it only happens with the brightness at its lowest setting. Once it comes up a bit it stops. Must be why I’m only seeing it at night.

Thats most likely just normal OLED ghosting which is caused by fast pixel response time. Normally lcd would show blurred image when scrolling but with OLED you get that. Combined with PWM which is used to dim the screen in low light the effect is more visible.

I have the same effect with my Iphone Xs and so did the ones in store. Unfortunately that effect causes me eye strain and headache.

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
I've noticed this on my XS as well. As far as I can tell it is normal OLED behaviour. Was kind of jarring at first, but I think I'm getting used to it.

Vegaspilot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Ah ok, so it does appear to be normal. Kinda annoying, but I don’t feel like starting the exchange process. Phew.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.