Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sunshower

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
UK
Hi all, seeking a bit of upgrade advice!

I have an iPhone XS which I'm planning to upgrade in the next few months - cracked screen and a few other issues along with battery life/speaker issues etc.

I prefer a smaller phone overall and I'm not sure I need a Pro model anymore as I think an upgrade to the regular line would be substantial enough after having the XS for nearly 4 years. (The Pros are also getting prohibitively expensive).

I really like the 13 mini, my mum has one and I think it's size, weight and ergonomics are great. But, I also want this phone to last another four years if possible, and battery life is important to me, so waiting a bit longer for a 14 might be a better option for software support and having a year newer hardware. I was wondering if anyone had previously owned a X/XS and then moved to a 12/13 6.1in size and whether it's much bigger or bulkier in real life? I know they slimmed the frame down a bit from the XR/11, and if a 14 was about the same size at my XS then I think that would be okay. I have held them briefly myself in Apple stores but it's hard to get a definite view of a phone until you've had it for a while.

Also wanting to spend around £6-700 - so maybe the 13 mini would be a smarter financial choice, especially if I wait for the price drop in September.

Anyway, any advice or experience of similar upgrades would be much appreciated - thanks!

Last edited:

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I just upgraded my work line to a 13 from an 11, I am still on a XS for my personal line, here is a photo of them side by side. I really like the 13 I am jealous of it and want one for my line. From a size stand point the 13 is smaller than the 11 I had and its a good thing I disliked the 11 size. Weight wise the 13 feels a little lighter than my XS.
tempImagej5V1th.png

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It will be tough for X/Xs/11 Pro users, and Apple don't make that size anymore. The regular 13/14 might feel too big, while the 13 mini might not have the battery endurance. But unfortunately those are the options.

I would just go to a store and play with the regular 13 and 13 Pro (the 14/14 Pro will be the same dimensions wise). If you feel it's alright, then the 14 will be your ticket. Or the 14 Pro is you have the budget and don't mind the extra weight.

The 13 mini is still a good option imo. Battery endurance will certainly be better than your current Xs. And I wouldn't be afraid for longevity as battery replacement is inexpensive.

Reactions: Sunshower
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.