Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Got my iPhone XS 512 GB (plus leather case). I picked it up in the shiny new (okay… since Feb 2018) local Apple Store here in Vienna, Austria. The service was excellent. There was quite a crowd, the most intensive event since opening according to a salesman. I was 15 min early to the appointment but that was no problem, I got my pre-ordered device immediately.

Could make some video shots right outside the store downtown Vienna (you can see the store at the beginning). It was a windy day so you'll hear some wind and bicycle noises (it seems that the device did a good job filtering it away). But it's stereo! Listen to horses and bells.

The case doesn't affect the recorded sound quality although the genius in the store couldn't tell me where exactly the microphones are located (so they don't get covered with fingers or cases ). The fcp stereo indicator shows well balanced (l/r) sound anyway.

Shot and uploaded all in a hurry:

Use good headphones or a PA equipment for being able to judge the stereo sound. If you want more demos—plz tell me.

jiangning

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Very nice! Oh I miss the city so much.

Got my iPhone XS 512 GB (plus leather case). I picked it up in the shiny new (okay… since Feb 2018) local Apple Store here in Vienna, Austria. The service was excellent. There was quite a crowd, the most intensive event since opening according to a salesman. I was 15 min early to the appointment but that was no problem, I got my pre-ordered device immediately.

Could make some video shots right outside the store downtown Vienna (you can see the store at the beginning). It was a windy day so you'll hear some wind and bicycle noises (it seems that the device did a good job filtering it away). But it's stereo! Listen to horses and bells.

The case doesn't affect the recorded sound quality although the genius in the store couldn't tell me where exactly the microphones are located (so they don't get covered with fingers or cases ). The fcp stereo indicator shows well balanced (l/r) sound anyway.

Shot and uploaded all in a hurry:

Use good headphones or a PA equipment for being able to judge the stereo sound. If you want more demos—plz tell me.

Reactions: Habakuk and 5105973

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Glad you like it. Today I made another little stereo sound check with the iPhone XS. A street musician playing a piano accordion. Some rhythmic Balkan dance with a good mood. Take your earphones and enjoy!

This time we are in a not so famous area of Vienna. A subway, streetcar and bus station at Hietzing, Kennedybrücke (Kennedy bridge), near Schönbrunn. There is a lot of traffic going on in the background but you can clearly listen to the instrument.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Check the Sound of Natural Acoustic Instruments

Yesterday I could free another 30+30 minutes for some sound (video) recordings with the iPhone XS. No additional equipment used except the original Apple leather case. The sound quality is unaltered: no filters, no limiters, no equalizers, no compressors, nothing. Straight out of the iPhone. Made with the built-in microphones only.

Unplugged Blasmusik (Brass Band Music) here in Vienna at an event similar to the Oktoberfest in Munich (way smaller). It's called Wiener Wiesn (Vienna's Fairground) and takes place in the Prater (Luna Park) near the Giant Wheel. They are playing marching songs and hymns. The folk bands are coming from Styria and Tyrol. There are trumpets, clarinets, flutes, cornets, horns, trombones, tubas, snare and bass drums and heavy cymbals.

In my honest opinion the stereo sound of the iPhone XS is superb! Grab your best earphones and listen please, there is even a very loud multi-shot with real guns inside:

Produced (1080p60) and uploaded all in a hurry again. Feel free to post other examples made with the new iPhone right here in this very thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.