Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arbitrarian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
About 10 days ago I decided to upgrade my Xs. For the first week it went well, no problems whatsoever, until Tuesday. At which point I completely lost signal at my workspace. It's fine at home, on my commute, etc. until I get to work. Previously "5g" reception at my workspace wasn't great (1-2 bars) but it always worked. Now it never works. Displays "No Service"

First attempted solution was reboot. Which did nothing. Next I tried to reset carrier settings, which also did nothing. Figured out that the problem seems to have something to do with the interior of the building. If near a window service usually resumes, so long as I switch airplane mode on and off so it searches. Also while outside, between buildings, service becomes sketchy and I have to wander around the parking lot like its 2007 just to get a good signal. Only other symptom is really bad battery life, despite not doing anything on it.

Nobody else seems to have a problem, and many people have much older devices and work deeper in the building. At this point I just removed the sim and reinserted, we will see what happens tomorrow. I am not optimistic. It seems the next course of action is to do a clean install and hope that the backups on my old macbook pro contain all of my data.

I've seen several posts about this issue but none have been officially resolved, just a lot of basic suggestions. If anyone has any advice or can give some insight into what's going on, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I don't have a solution, just wanted to watch this and see because the same has happened to me and my xs max. I'm on Tmo and my carrier version is not what is listed in the 14.0.1 thread, no idea if that has anything to do with it? I erased and restored my phone, still the same issues

Reactions: arbitrarian

arbitrarian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Removing the sim card didn't fix it. I think the best thing we can do is contact apple, that way they understand this is a widespread problem and hopefully fix it in the next update.

It's insane that a software update could result in worse reception. Worse battery life, okay, but reception?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Removing the sim card didn't fix it. I think the best thing we can do is contact apple, that way they understand this is a widespread problem and hopefully fix it in the next update.

It's insane that a software update could result in worse reception. Worse battery life, okay, but reception?
Well, keep in mind, that an OS update is more than just software, it's also often firmware and lower level code related to hardware as well.

arbitrarian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
that's true... Would restoring to an old backup also include the old firmware? I understand apple already stopped "signing" iOS 13, but since I have backups I could still downgrade right?

Last edited:

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
Some people have solved it changing it to 3G mode. Until there is a software fix.

arbitrarian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Unfortunately 3G is not listed on mine. My "cellular data options" are 4G or LTE. I did try changing from LTE to 4G and didn't fix the problem.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
that's true... Would restoring to an old backup also include the old firmware? I understand apple already stopped "signing" iOS 13, but since I have backups I could still downgrade right?
Backups are just data, they don't include the OS itself.

AppleLuvver

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
U.S.
Having similar issue with daughters xs. Calls fail every time if VoLTE is on, so had to turn it off. She also randomly loses LTE signal.

nico.ha1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
Does anybody geht the field test mode too run especially the LTE Neighbor Cell Meas?
8ef54f09a7668025b0197f75036791c3.jpg

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Not sure if this will help but worth a try and it worked for me. I was sick of dropped calls and no internet so I updated to the public beta 14.2 amd everything seems much better.

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
Maybe try a reinstall of iOS 14 through Finder, which shouldn't result in data loss.

Doc Evils

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
I had the same issue too and the only thing that solved it was to reboot the phone.

I had never had this issue until I updated just like you.

My phone is XS Max.

jabba18

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2020
Thanks for the feedback, as a XS user still on iOS 13.
I had cellular problems as well, constant switch between LTE and 3G on lower than 2 bars, making it unusable.
Fixed it by forcing 3G in settings, but now the internet is slower.

Have you tried another device right next to the XS? In some cases it might be the carrier's fault.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I said it above but I’ll repeat, the 14.2 beta fixed all my issues. Since updat with the beta everything just works. I guess if you do t want to do the beta you’ll just need to wait, but imo it was a good choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.