Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
I just got a used iPhone XS, my first OLED phone. When I use the phone in a dark room (e.g. in bed), at minimum brightness, the screen appears very washed out, much more so than my old iPhone XR LCD in the same conditions. If I move the brightness a couple ticks (~10%), the problem seems to be alleviated. Is this common to all OLED iPhones (or all iPhones XS) or might I have a bad unit?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Nope. Don’t have exactly this.

but when i reduce Whitepoint from time to time to get it even darker there is some sharpness effect. white letters on black background can get washed out when scrolling.

Reactions: g35

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I just got a used iPhone XS, my first OLED phone. When I use the phone in a dark room (e.g. in bed), at minimum brightness, the screen appears very washed out, much more so than my old iPhone XR LCD in the same conditions. If I move the brightness a couple ticks (~10%), the problem seems to be alleviated. Is this common to all OLED iPhones (or all iPhones XS) or might I have a bad unit?
Bad unit. Turning off Auto Brightness will fix it. So bad unit.

Reactions: g35

g35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Bad unit. Turning off Auto Brightness will fix it. So bad unit.
Thanks for the idea. But the problem is still there when I toggle auto brightness. Does that change your assessment?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for the idea. But the problem is still there when I toggle auto brightness. Does that change your assessment?
Yes. I have no idea then. Did you try turning Auto Brightness and TrueTone off?

g35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Yes. I have no idea then. Did you try turning Auto Brightness and TrueTone off?
I tried that, didn't make a difference. Made sure all the white balance, color adjustment features were also turned off. Same result

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.