Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tesla_nc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
This year I am planning on getting a new phone as my 6 has become outdated and almost unusable (Touch ID broken, GPS/Bluetooth malfunctions) due to water damage a couple of months ago. I was thinking about getting the new iPhone Xs because the display and the fact that the phone will be released next week. That being said, if I wanted to get my hands on iPhone Xs on the 21st I would need to stay up until 3 AM EST to pre order. This is my first time pre ordering to try and get a day 1 phone so I know the demand is usually high and you need to be prepared because one mistake could cost you to wait a couple months. Anyways, I did some research on pre order guides and most people suggested that I use the Apple Store app on my existing iPhone to order the new phone because the website may crash. If any of you guys have any extra tips/hints (like should I buy the SIM free phone or just go ahead and try to upgrade with AT&T SIM even though it might have a few extra steps) that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
This year I am planning on getting a new phone as my 6 has become outdated and almost unusable (Touch ID broken, GPS/Bluetooth malfunctions) due to water damage a couple of months ago. I was thinking about getting the new iPhone Xs because the display and the fact that the phone will be released next week. That being said, if I wanted to get my hands on iPhone Xs on the 21st I would need to stay up until 3 AM EST to pre order. This is my first time pre ordering to try and get a day 1 phone so I know the demand is usually high and you need to be prepared because one mistake could cost you to wait a couple months. Anyways, I did some research on pre order guides and most people suggested that I use the Apple Store app on my existing iPhone to order the new phone because the website may crash. If any of you guys have any extra tips/hints (like should I buy the SIM free phone or just go ahead and try to upgrade with AT&T SIM even though it might have a few extra steps) that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.
__
In my experience for the 6+, which I used the slow slooooow bogged down website, order lagged -- and ended up getting some "Contiune your transaction email 8 hours later, finish it by 5pm" (Order went though, but I got the phone late Sept)

I used the Apple Store app for the Apple Watch, and last years 8+. It was flawless. The Apple Store app is THE WAY TO GO! 3am, the website is just unresponsive..even at 3:03am..nothing loads. Thats just my experience.

Meanwhile the Apple store app WILL load, or have far better luck! (Heck if you have the app on the phone AND iPad - if you have an iPad...even better) I would download it, select the phone you want now..Click the HEART logo "♥" to save that to your favorites. Make sure you have the payment you want set up now.

Once 3am comes tonight, click that HEART logo, your "Favorites" - The new phone is there and ready for checkout. Saves a ton of time. Fumbling around at 3am choosing options kills valuable time, and can result to pushing that shipment back 1-2 weeks!

Just my opinion. Good luck!

Reactions: Tesla_nc

UserJalen

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2017
Indianapolis, Indiana
Basically what the person said above is spot on. Go ahead and configure what model you want and favorite it. Also you want to make sure your payment information is up to date. Make sure you use the Apple store app if possible, best way to upgrade, even the CEO over retail mentioned that’s the best way. Last year I preordered the iPhone X on my iPhone 6 and got a launch date shipment. If I were you’d I’d give this a watch very insightful

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
If any of you guys have any extra tips/hints (like should I buy the SIM free phone or just go ahead and try to upgrade with AT&T SIM even though it might have a few extra steps) that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Just a bit of info... you've already received good advice from the replies above, but I wanted to mention that the SIM free phones are usually not ready for order or over the counter sales until much later on after the initial launch. I'm not an AT&T subscriber so can't help you with that.

Reactions: Tesla_nc

Tesla_nc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
Just a bit of info... you've already received good advice from the replies above, but I wanted to mention that the SIM free phones are usually not ready for order or over the counter sales until much later on after the initial launch. I'm not an AT&T subscriber so can't help you with that.
Alright thanks for the info. I had seen mixed ideas on ordering SIM free at launch to avoid typing in carrier details to guarantee that you get a phone next week. But I'll go ahead and have my carrier details on hand and get the phone with the AT&T SIM.
[doublepost=1536865580][/doublepost]
__
In my experience for the 6+, which I used the slow slooooow bogged down website, order lagged -- and ended up getting some "Contiune your transaction email 8 hours later, finish it by 5pm" (Order went though, but I got the phone late Sept)

I used the Apple Store app for the Apple Watch, and last years 8+. It was flawless. The Apple Store app is THE WAY TO GO! 3am, the website is just unresponsive..even at 3:03am..nothing loads. Thats just my experience.

Meanwhile the Apple store app WILL load, or have far better luck! (Heck if you have the app on the phone AND iPad - if you have an iPad...even better) I would download it, select the phone you want now..Click the HEART logo "♥" to save that to your favorites. Make sure you have the payment you want set up now.

Once 3am comes tonight, click that HEART logo, your "Favorites" - The new phone is there and ready for checkout. Saves a ton of time. Fumbling around at 3am choosing options kills valuable time, and can result to pushing that shipment back 1-2 weeks!

Just my opinion. Good luck!
Thanks a lot for the information! I'll use the app and make sure everything is ready to go by 3:00 AM
[doublepost=1536865666][/doublepost]
Basically what the person said above is spot on. Go ahead and configure what model you want and favorite it. Also you want to make sure your payment information is up to date. Make sure you use the Apple store app if possible, best way to upgrade, even the CEO over retail mentioned that’s the best way. Last year I preordered the iPhone X on my iPhone 6 and got a launch date shipment. If I were you’d I’d give this a watch very insightful
This video is pretty cool. I'll use the app and hope for the best. Thanks for the info!

Reactions: PhillyGuy72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.