Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhotoVideo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
Last month Filmic Pro finally became compatible with the Zhiyun Smooth 4 gimbal.

I recently got the iPhone XS and decided to also purchase the Zhiyun Smooth 4 and the Filmic Pro App.

I read that Filmic Pro doesn't record in stereo audio yet which is one of the benefits of the iPhone XS verses the X. Unfortunately the iPhone doesn't record each clip with the same frame rate. 60.02 for 1 clip and 60.03 for another clip. It's like that with many cell phones and I was hoping that would get fixed on the iPhone XS. I really hope it's possible for Apple to allow the phones to record in a fixed constant frame rate such as 60.00fps for example by a firmware update. Anybody who has access to the higher ups at Apple, please get the info to them. Another thing I would like to see is a memory card slot on future iPhones.

Went all the way from Boston to New York to record this lion dance competition that was held in New York last month.

I've only used the Zhiyun Smooth 4 briefly at the house before I got their. Mostly to make sure it's working fine and to update the firmware. I was sitting down for all these clips since I didn't want to be in the way of other people and at the same time, I had surgery earlier early September. It's also why I didn't want to bring a tripod with me. Didn't want to have too much weight while recovering. I did stand for the last lion dance performance that isn't shown here. Some people have left by now. If I had stood for too long, I'd be in a little bit pain once I walk out of the park to a good spot to call an Uber. It's a very big park with a ton of soccer fields. Actual name is Flushing Meadows Corona park. For sure I need a little bit more practice holding it. One thing to keep in mind is that the it works better without a phone case on which is annoying. Since I might start to shoot a lot of events with this phone, I decided to get insurance with it but still.
Filmic Pro was in auto exposure and the auto focus might not have been set in the best position. Yes, first time using Filmic Pro as well.

The phone stabilizer was off. I'll need to start experimenting over rather the stabilizer should be on or off while the phone is on the gimbal.

Tele lens
Tele lens
Wide lens

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Filmic Pro user with a DJI Osmo Mobile 2 here. Stabilizer should be off when using a gimbal. Otherwise the whole picture will wiggle around frequently, as the gimbal and stabilizer throw each other off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.