Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragnworks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
CA
Is anyone else having an issue with their iPhone XsMax using excessive cellular data, and not showing wifi connection icon on home screen, but shows it on the WiFi settings page? I went over my cellular data last month. And noticed when i should have been on wifi, the phone wasn't showing icon. I went to wifi settings and shows the correct SSID but not using it. Apple store said phone passed all tests and that i should reload OS from computer to "Fix" it, so reset phone and now its seems to be doing it again.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My particular max is not having an issue like this. My suggestion is to put the phone in airplane mode and see what happens. Also turn off WiFi assist.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Hey just a quick question regarding the topic.

I have an area in my home with “poor” but still okay WiFi signal strength (100mbit out of 120mbit down) but the phone switches to 4G due to WiFi only having 1 or 2 bars.

Now I turned off WiFi assist and it fixed the problem but wouldn’t this hurt a little battery life because the phone trying hard with catching signal or does this only apply to cellular network?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Is anyone else having an issue with their iPhone XsMax using excessive cellular data,

I can make a comment about your first question. My data usage started to dramatically increase. Looking at my cellular data Notes was closing in on using 10 GB of data a month. So if you are using excessive data I'd try to figure out what app is using it, by going into Settings/Cellular/Cellular data (at the bottom).

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Hey just a quick question regarding the topic.

I have an area in my home with “poor” but still okay WiFi signal strength (100mbit out of 120mbit down) but the phone switches to 4G due to WiFi only having 1 or 2 bars.

Now I turned off WiFi assist and it fixed the problem but wouldn’t this hurt a little battery life because the phone trying hard with catching signal or does this only apply to cellular network?
My educated guess is that a good lte signal drains the battery less than a poor wifi signal. Turning off wifi assist, probably will not make much a noticeable difference in the battery life.

Reactions: Lekro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.