Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crimsontde88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
I’d really be interest to know how much of the preorder madness was due to the news breaking about iPhone 12 being banned in France due to higher than allowable levels of radiation. I know it made my parents call me this weekend and upgrade their phones to the 15.

Reactions: Brad7

MacMan2013

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2023
I have an iPhone 12 and do both my parents. None of us are upgrading. I would guess it's only an issue if you spend all day with a phone against your ear. Moderate users probably okay.

crimsontde88

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
I have an iPhone 12 and do both my parents. None of us are upgrading. I would guess it's only an issue if you spend all day with a phone against your ear. Moderate users probably okay.

I was more alluding to the mental market manipulation of something like that coming out days before the new phone comes out. My parents saw it on Facebook and called me worried about it. Luckily with the Verizon trade deals they can upgrade for free and out their minds at ease. I’m not really worried about the radiation.

MacMan2013

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2023
I was more alluding to the mental market manipulation of something like that coming out days before the new phone comes out. My parents saw it on Facebook and called me worried about it. Luckily with the Verizon trade deals they can upgrade for free and out their minds at ease. I’m not really worried about the radiation.
Trusting anything on Facebook is a sure way to get worried, often needlessly. Having said that, if you can upgrade for free then why not.

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
Is suspect very few people who weren’t interested enough to sit at their computer trying to preorder a phone at 5/6/7/8am before the radiation story were suddenly interested enough to do so after the radiation story, if they even saw it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.