Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Ever since I updated my iPhone6 (64GB) from 10.3 to 11.0, it's been very sluggish. Almost to the point where I'm gonna smash it. The symptoms are that apps take forever to load and data takes a long time to populate once the app is loaded. I have plenty of free space although I'm not even sure if that would affect app loading speed.

I'll try updating to 11.0.1 tonight to see if that improves anything, but in the event that it doesn't, I'll be doing a clean install. So here's my questions.

1. I will be using iTunes to restore my iPhone as new, then using a backup to reload everything. Is this a "clean install"? The backup will be an iOS11 backup, as I've already updated to 11.

2. Will this help? I've read about other folks' experience and it's a mixed bag.

3. If a clean install and restoring from a backup doesn't speed it up, how would I go about setting up as new? I don't want to lose my health data, nor do I want to lose my photos. Note that I will download all of my photos from my iPhone to my Mac beforehand. I could tolerate losing all of my old iMessages/SMSes, but if I can keep them too, that would be nice.

Thanks.

TITNTUFF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
West Louisiana
I installed iOS 11 over the air on my 6 plus. All was fine and fast until day 2. Then it stuttered and lagged. I setup as new thru iTunes on my computer. Things went back to normal. My health data was restored from iCloud. It shows my pre iOS 11 6 plus as one device, and current iOS 11 6 plus as a different device, but no gaps in the health data.
I think as iOS gets updated things will get optimized.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I installed iOS 11 over the air on my 6 plus. All was fine and fast until day 2. Then it stuttered and lagged. I setup as new thru iTunes on my computer. Things went back to normal. My health data was restored from iCloud. It shows my pre iOS 11 6 plus as one device, and current iOS 11 6 plus as a different device, but no gaps in the health data.
I think as iOS gets updated things will get optimized.
OK, this is a good data point. I'm really struggling with the overall speed of my 6.

Sounds like you restored your 6+ using iCloud. If I restore from an iTunes backup, I should get the speed benefits as well, right? I'm planning on wiping the iPhone and setting up as new, then restoring from an iTunes backup. Hope that will get rid of the sluggishness.

elvtnedge

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
OK, this is a good data point. I'm really struggling with the overall speed of my 6.

Sounds like you restored your 6+ using iCloud. If I restore from an iTunes backup, I should get the speed benefits as well, right? I'm planning on wiping the iPhone and setting up as new, then restoring from an iTunes backup. Hope that will get rid of the sluggishness.

I'm planning on doing the same thing. My 6S+ was very sluggish before the update, was hoping the update would fix it but it didn't. Last time I backed up it reloaded all the photos I had so it almost doubled everything. Since that time it's been sluggish

TITNTUFF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
West Louisiana

I set up as new, and downloaded my apps from the store. Numbers, pages, and health data came from iCloud. My photos are added thru iTunes, and I use Files Pro and BitKinex http://www.bitkinex.com/webdavclient to add my files wirelessly.
Updated to 11.0.2 last night and all’s going good on the 6plus
[doublepost=1507140632][/doublepost]
I'm planning on doing the same thing. My 6S+ was very sluggish before the update, was hoping the update would fix it but it didn't. Last time I backed up it reloaded all the photos I had so it almost doubled everything. Since that time it's been sluggish

My photos are added thru iTunes, but I only select some folders off my computer. All my photos are downloaded from the iPhone camera roll to my computer. Then I rename all the files with the date taken, then move to a folder with the subject name. Then I use iTunes to sync certain folders to the iPhone.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
If you're upset with overall speed, a clean install will make less than 5% difference.

You're the victim of iOS software upgrade. Better luck next time, but you'll have to purchase a new iPhone now.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
OP, what's your battery health? can you check with coconutbattery? reason i asked is when i swapped mine out, it was a really noticeable difference in overall speed of the phone and software and I've never done a clean install on my iPhone 6 since owning it. I did the battery swap myself purchasing the iFixit kit. I experienced those same thoughts about smashing the phone taking it forever to respond. Since Tuesday (when i replaced the battery), i haven't felt that.

IMG_9290.png

IMG_9289.png

Reactions: ftaok

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If you're upset with overall speed, a clean install will make less than 5% difference.

You're the victim of iOS software upgrade. Better luck next time, but you'll have to purchase a new iPhone now.
Personally, I don't think it's that. There are plenty of folks running iPhone 6 and 6+ on iOS11 with only a little bit of slowdown. Eventually, I'll get around to doing a clean install and if it doesn't help, then oh well.

OP, what's your battery health? can you check with coconutbattery? reason i asked is when i swapped mine out, it was a really noticeable difference in overall speed of the phone and software and I've never done a clean install on my iPhone 6 since owning it. I did the battery swap myself purchasing the iFixit kit. I experienced those same thoughts about smashing the phone taking it forever to respond. Since Tuesday (when i replaced the battery), i haven't felt that.
Perhaps. My battery isn't too bad. It's only a year old (Apple replaced it last year).

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 4.58.18 PM.png

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Personally, I don't think it's that. There are plenty of folks running iPhone 6 and 6+ on iOS11 with only a little bit of slowdown. Eventually, I'll get around to doing a clean install and if it doesn't help, then oh well.

That's only because people's opinion of a "slowdown" is subjective. You've already shown yourself as being one who notices differences in speed, therefore it's not really fixable.

Absolutely do a clean install, as that's the only thing you can do, but I'm just being realistic in stating that it's unlikely to fix the problem. Good luck

ftaok

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Just wanted to update this thread. In light of recent events, it was obvious that the slowdown on my iPhone6 was due to the battery. Shout out to @yanki01 for the early diagnosis (which I apparently ignored ;)).

Anyways, I just changed the battery and it's a total night and day difference. My phone is usable again.

ft

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Just wanted to update this thread. In light of recent events, it was obvious that the slowdown on my iPhone6 was due to the battery. Shout out to @yanki01 for the early diagnosis (which I apparently ignored ;)).

Anyways, I just changed the battery and it's a total night and day difference. My phone is usable again.

ft

glad it worked for you. amazing what they're doing to the older iPhones which are capable of still being a great device. what apple was/is doing is wrong. unfortunately it's no point for a replacement battery for me since I already did it and don't use the iP6 anymore. hopefully in the future the older devices will be able to work without them bogging it down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.