Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
I just moved from iPhone 7 to iPhone 8 and am not seeing any performance gain.
Seems like a waste of money.

Is there really no performance gain or I am not doing something right?

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I traded in an 8 plus for a Xs Max then went through several models then bought a refurb 7 plus. Waiting for 2019 5G phones possibilities. Opening stuff in a half of a blink of an eye faster, wireless charging, better camera specs, Bluetooth 5, True Tone, Performance wise not so much, depending on how one defines “performance”

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

Keep in mind that iOS 12 runs on the 5s so it’s very optimized. So you may not notice the difference from a 7 to an 8. The 8 is likely the last design of the classic iPhone look though, so I’m actually planning on upgrading my 7 Plus to an 8 Plus to hold onto it for a few years until Apple figures out the notch and PWM (causes eye strain and headaches for some users) issues on the XS/XS Max.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
There's rarely a perceivable performance difference in day to day usage, especially when going from one generation to the next. The improvements are usually minor from year to year so not as noticeable as if you upgraded from something like a 2 or 3 y/o device. Even then some will say performance isn't very noticeable. I personally do like the wireless charging, the speakers are "moderately better" and I liked the camera upgrade from my 7+ to my 8+, but that's just me.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Both the 7 and 8 are still very speedy in everyday use and while the 8 definitely benchmarks higher you probably won't notice the difference coming from a 7. I actually just upgraded from a 6s to an 8 and don't really notice a performance difference either, but I upgraded for reasons other than performance.

Reactions: janeauburn

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2017
There's rarely a perceivable performance difference in day to day usage, especially when going from one generation to the next. The improvements are usually minor from year to year so not as noticeable as if you upgraded from something like a 2 or 3 y/o device. Even then some will say performance isn't very noticeable. I personally do like the wireless charging, the speakers are "moderately better" and I liked the camera upgrade from my 7+ to my 8+, but that's just me.
Yes, some improvements are good, but my phones drop a lot (2 phones and always on the go), so glass on the iPhone8 might not survive the drops that metal on iPhone7 survives. To me, the fear of dropping iPhone8 is more important than wireless charging, speakers and better camera (I carry Samsung Note8 as well, so I have a good camera). Really hoped to see a difference in day to day usage!?((

The 8 is likely the last design of the classic iPhone look though, so I’m actually planning on upgrading my 7 Plus to an 8 Plus to hold onto it for a few years until Apple figures out the notch and PWM (causes eye strain and headaches for some users) issues on the XS/XS Max.
Yes, 7/8 is very good. I returned my XS - it was too bulky.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Really hoped to see a difference in day to day usage!?

As would the rest of us, but in reality with a one year newer model, performance differences aren't usually so noticeable. I think that's actually a good thing so those who may have a generation or two older model still have a pretty good experience. Can't always say that for some of the android phones I've had in the past.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
There is, yes but nothing you will notice in real time use

The iPhone 7 is by no means a weak or slow device

even the 6s keeps up with the 8 and loads some apps just as fast if not faster (surprisingly)

I have all three models and I have no clue why. I can tell you from doing side by side comparisons, the 6s, 7 and 8 are more or less identical experiences in terms of speed and performance

it's really the 6 vs 6s,7,8 that things are different. The 6 is *noticeably* worse off, despite iOS 12 really improving the speed and making it completely usable...but using a 6 vs 6s,7,8 it definitely makes the 6 feel old. The 6s, 7, 8 all feel like phones Apple could have announced this September in terms of speed and performance

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I upgraded every single year and the difference is small. Between 7 & 8 the big difference was the camera. Also on the 7 & 8, the speaker was also a noticeable difference. Between 8 and max, I don’t notice day to day difference but the camera is huge.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Some really good, real-world observations in this thread. Having used all of these phones (and the 6), I'll add my own:

6 is indeed noticeably slower than 7, 8, and X(s), but it's also noticeably thinner and lighter--things that mean a lot to people who don't like being weighted down with small bricks in their pockets.

Phone call quality (how people hear you): noticeably superior on the 6 to any succeeding phone. Apple must have changed something with the phone circuitry in the phones after the 6, and the result is thousands of valid reports of degraded phone call quality, both on the 7 and 8. I haven't tested the XS in this regard, but my hopes are not high. Apple seems to have forgotten that there's the word "phone" in iPhone.

7 is both lighter and thinner than the 8. That means a lot to some people.

8's speakers are noticeably better than 7 and a lot better than 6. I can and do listen to music sometimes just through the speakers of the 8. Good hotel phone.

6, 7, 8: they're all too slippery. The one usability improvement on the XS that I've noticed is that it's less slippery in the hand.

Fatter, heavier: Apple is definitely an American company in this regard. With each generation, it keeps making phones fatter and heavier. What's up with that? The company must think we all carry little red wagons behind us that we can put these things in.

Apple leather cases: if you want to like these (as I do), note that after the 6S series, the leather cases started getting slippery. There are exceptions, but they seem to be isolated rather than the rule. It's weird: the company makes slippery phones, and part of why you put a case on it is to make it less slippery. You'd think the brain trust at Apple would understand this, but no: they continue to release leather cases that are almost as slippery as the phones themselves.

Cameras: optical image stabilization should be on both lenses of the dual-lens cameras, and it is only on the X(s). That's a shame. But I suspect that if you're serious about photography, you won't use a camera phone anyway. Even the best aren't that great. That said, if you're a photo nut, the camera on the X(s) is the only feature that's really tempting on the newest phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fozamo

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017

At iOS 12 There SHOULD be difference maybe up to 25% just like the iPhone 6 and 6S on late iOS 9 update.

After few more iOS updates next year like iOS 13. The 6S would be starting to go downhill, 6 will be more affected, and i don't know if 5S will survive the iOS 13 or will ended up being slow like iPhone 4S in iOS 9.

As iOS progress, The difference between iPhone 7 and 8 would be more noticeable. Look at the iPhone 6 and 6S on Early iOS 9 they perform pretty much the same even the other is weaker and other is clocked higher. But when iOS 11 they perform very different to each other.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I have a 7 and my wife and younger (adult) son each have an 8. In real life, no difference at all. Well, the 8 is a little bigger, a little heavier, and gets a little less battery runtime. Other than that...

I'm not trying to be snarky or facetious. Unless your primary use is running Geekbench, with a new battery ($29, thank you Apple) the 7 is still a highly usable phone.

Are you possibly still within the January 8 holiday return period, or did you buy the 8 before that kicked in?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The only noticeable difference is the camera and having wireless charging

It’s not the only thing. I would actually add that the 8 has True tone, and the glass back obviously makes a difference with aesthetics over the aluminum with the iPhone 7.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Some really good, real-world observations in this thread. Having used all of these phones (and the 6), I'll add my own:

Phone call quality (how people hear you): noticeably superior on the 6 to any succeeding phone. Apple must have changed something with the phone circuitry in the phones after the 6, and the result is thousands of valid reports of degraded phone call quality, both on the 7 and 8. I haven't tested the XS in this regard, but my hopes are not high. Apple seems to have forgotten that there's the word "phone" in iPhone.

Call quality on my iPhone XR and my wife’s XR blows away the iPhone 6 and iPhone 7 Plus that I owned. The difference is immediately noticeable and the best call quality I’ve ever had on an iPhone.

I can’t comment on the X, XS or MAX but I’d be very surprised if they did not have great call quality too.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Real world use is how we use our devices anyways; few people need to save 30-90 seconds editing their 4k videos on their phones every day..
[doublepost=1545762016][/doublepost]
It’s not the only thing. I would actually add that the 8 has True tone, and the glass back obviously makes a difference with aesthetics over the aluminum with the iPhone 7.

Some people also notice better battery life too due to the more efficient chip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.