Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
Hey Arn, what would we need to do to get a business dev forum up and running? Do you need anything from the community? Mod volunteers, forum suggestions?

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I didn't frequent the tech stuff much but the business forum was invaluable. If Macrumors had a separate business of iOS forums I would post but as is it's a waste of time to sort through all the UITableView problem threads to find the ones I'm interested in.

it would be great to have a business/marketing subforum here.

samdev

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
I know of some other forum sites that were hit as well, so it looks like they're not alone, but their response time is concerning. Last time it took about a week for them to get back online.

Maybe it's a good sign it's taking longer that usual.

If they came back quickly, then it would mean nothing has changed. It would be business as usual with
the same problems as before.

But, if it took longer, perhaps it means somebody is actually trying to fix the problem, find a new
forum with better security and spam-filtering, fix a database problem, or whatever the case.

HemiMG

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
It's nice to see some familiar names here in this thread at least. But it is sad that all of the information that had been shared in that forum might be gone. They are still listed at buyads.com, but I hope they aren't still taking orders. According to that site though, the parent company is appstorehq which still works fine.
The Business, Legal, and Marketing forum over there was like my water cooler. It's where I went everyday to get a break from coding and catch up on the happenings on the app store. If it is gone for good, I'll be sad.

samdev

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
It's nice to see some familiar names here in this thread at least. But it is sad that all of the information that had been shared in that forum might be gone. They are still listed at buyads.com, but I hope they aren't still taking orders. According to that site though, the parent company is appstorehq which still works fine.
The Business, Legal, and Marketing forum over there was like my water cooler. It's where I went everyday to get a break from coding and catch up on the happenings on the app store. If it is gone for good, I'll be sad.

I always checked the 'appstore wait thread' when I have submitted apps, since I never know how long I have to wait.
I read that the wait can be up to 14 days now. That's almost half a month! I can probably create a new app
just waiting now.

clarky07

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
I hate to see iphonedevsdk down/gone but it's good to see this new dev section here. As others have said I found the business/legal/app store section to be invaluable.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Maybe someone didn't pay the bills and let it run out. How did that site make money anyway?
Ads, donations, or self-funded?

Developers could buy ad space to advertise their apps. Although I feel it was a bit wasted as most games/apps on there weren't targeted at developers.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Awesome, thanks for making this!

My two daily go-to sites were MR and iPhoneDevSDK. Now it'll be MR only.:cool:

EDIT: Hmm, it looks like the errors on the iPhoneDevSDK forum have changed. I wonder if they're planning on bringing the forum back online.. If so, the question is: should we continue to rely on iPhoneDevSDK or not?

Last edited:

esoter1c

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2012
Seems the forum is back online right now. I was able to sign in..it seems the forum is different now though

Kuda-

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah esoter1c, I saw where they're back up, not sure what to make of this whole thing.

But I like it here, and people are friendly. So, I'm going to stick around for a while.

Last edited:

HemiMG

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
You can thank my bad luck for the site being back up. Haha. I just spent all day creating a replacement forum at iPhoneDevBoard.com and iPhoneDevSDK came back up minutes after I finished. le sigh.
Oh well, it is worth the wasted $13 domain registration to see my old hangout on the internet back up, and looking spiffier than ever, I might add. :D

HemiMG

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
GoDaddy has been acting up all day, I'm not sure it was worth the hassle of dealing with that! haha. Oh well, now I have all the time in the world to finish the site. I don't think the users will be pouring in with the real deal back.
I'll have to spend more time posting on iPhoneDevSDK instead of just lurking now that I know how much I miss it when it is gone.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
iphonedevsdk.com is back. But their new design/theme is super ugly and makes my head hurt :(

Garish gradients everywhere and silly icons creating needless clutter. I don't know what they're thinking.

HemiMG

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
iphonedevsdk.com is back. But their new design/theme is super ugly and makes my head hurt :(

Garish gradients everywhere and silly icons creating needless clutter. I don't know what they're thinking.

The gradients don't bother me, but the icons are a bit loud. Maybe they'll change it if users start complaining. Or maybe they won't and all their users will run to my, now pointless, forum. Muhaha! (not holding my breath on that one. haha)

I'd also like it if they fixed the logo to match the new site color, right now it stands out too much. But I can deal with all of that annoyance just to be able to get my daily Business, Legal, and Appstore fix. ;)

Kuda-

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
their new design/theme is super ugly and makes my head hurt

Yeah, it's really ugly, but I think alot of it comes from default settings in Vanilla Forums. I'm sure with a little bit time they'll look a tiny bit better.

HemiMG

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
You can read the reasons they changed forums here Latest News

If it can cut down on the malware and other problems, then that is a great thing. I'm not sure what vanilla does that vbulletin doesn't, in that regard though.
There are some cool new features, like the Facebook-esque wall. I don't think many people will really take advantage of that though. I haven't even looked at my "wall" to see what it looks like yet.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
I'm still getting malware warnings for that site, but they might be two days old by now. It sure doesn't help to be browsing this on a PC, that's for sure :)

"
What is the current listing status for iphonedevsdk.com?
Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.
Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 13 time(s) over the past 90 days.
What happened when Google visited this site?
Of the 1012 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 38 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-07-16, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-07-10.Malicious software includes 31 trojan(s), 16 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 2 new process(es) on the target machine.
Malicious software is hosted on 12 domain(s), including mysitesisinn.org/, travismedz.in/, danyelaaavol.org/.
1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including bloositeplys.org/.
This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS33070 (RMH)."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.