Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I agree - I have both and I know I have to take care of them a particular way in order to keep them looking good

Or not obsess. :D One of my "real" watches has not just scratches but dings and dents in the case. I put every one of them there (accidentally). It's part of our story. :)

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
Or not obsess. :D One of my "real" watches has not just scratches but dings and dents in the case. I put every one of them there (accidentally). It's part of our story. :)

I wear my AW SS daily and while I will be the first one to admit I bump it a lot - my phone I obsess over

Last edited:
Reactions: newellj

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
Scratches on the silver iPhone are still less visible than on the sg. Some pictures here look realy BAD.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
You shouldn't blame Apple, but you can rise the question why Apple uses material so prone to micro scratches. The stainless steel frame of the iPhone may look better than the aluminium frame in mint condition, but the vulnerability to scratches under normal usage is exatcly why I would have prefered the X to have an aluminium frame as the iPhones from the 4 to the 8.
not really true. 10,000$ + stainless steel watches what do you say to their company's? You shouldn't use stainless you should use aluminum to save on fine scratches when everyone knows stainless can be polished.
I think it was a good move with the stainless honestly.
Last year with the jet black that was the worst finish for a phone you can ever have done and apple understood that. You cant polish any of that its just a bad finish.
As far as the glass goes compared to aluminum of previous years I dont see it being a problem, unless you drop it.
glass never shows deep bad scratches and I never used a case on my 6(for 2 years) 7 for one year(showed little to no wear).
I did drop them a few times and they ding pretty easily another good thing for stainless(is they dont ding easily like aluminum) but if you land on the glass it could shatter.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
The scratches didn’t just magically appear from nowhere. Lint/dust particles have lodged between the case and the phone.

I never ever buy silicone cases for that very reason.

Official leather case or go home.

yansun

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
not really true. 10,000$ + stainless steel watches what do you say to their company's?
What is not really true? Although you can polish stainless steel, isn't it prone to micro scratches (compares to aluminium) in the first place?
It's all a matter of preference, you may think stainless steel is a good choice, others like me may disagree.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I want Apple to make my next iPhone out of polished Grade 5 Titanium, just like a couple of my Omega watches. It still scratches, but it's much more difficult to do so, and vastly less deep and less noticeable than with my steel watches.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wonder would no case be better?

Depends on the case. Some cases do not properly fit a phone even if they appear they do, which can cause damage to the bands or casing to the iPhone itself, especially plastic cases. I prefer OEM Apple cases and by my experience, I try to find ones that have a soft lining inside or leather.

Reactions: Makayla

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
As the consumer we are partially to blame for the types of materials phones are made from these days.

If we weren't so image conscious then phones could return to being made of plastic where having a few scratches was no big deal and the thought of it falling out of your pocket didn't illicit a heart in mouth response!

To me it's absolute madness to buy something that looks expensive and feels expensive to then wrap it in cheap plastic so it doesn't break when you drop it! I, as I'm sure most of us here have cars costing thousands have never covered them in a plastic case to protect them from the elements.

If you want a phone that looks expensive and "feels" premium then you're going to have to accept some downsides - we can't have it all(unless you want to pay £2000 an iPhone).

Like has already been said, most polished surfaces will show up micro scratches from dust and airborne particles over time - even phones in certain cases. Stainless steel isn't a precious metal, it's an industrial one.

I have my phone in a case because I know how delicate phones are these days, not because I'm worried about a few scratches. There are far more important things in life to worry about. If I had confidence that my phone wouldn't break with the odd drop or accident then I'd be case free all the time.

Mobile phones for me are about what they can do not how they look.

In response to the OP: Stainless steel is an incredibly resistant material, it's not renowned for being scratch resistant though. No steel is. I work in a marine environment where the pipework on the vessel is 18 years old, some of the normal carbon steel has been replaced because of corrosion and other pipework which is stainless is standing strong and will be long after the vessel is scrapped.

Last edited:
Reactions: LogiLink

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
What is not really true? Although you can polish stainless steel, isn't it prone to micro scratches (compares to aluminium) in the first place?
It's all a matter of preference, you may think stainless steel is a good choice, others like me may disagree.
What about jet black? Worst finish of all time...
I personally think if I dont drop my phone in a year this phone will look exactly like it did when I got it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.