Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
MY HARDWARE

Apple iMac -- Core i5 @ 2.9 GHz, MacOS 10.10 Yosemite, soon to be upgraded to 10.12 Sierra; DSL internet connection, Evernote app, iPhoto, Microsoft Office, Google Drive, etc.

Lenovo-Motorola Moto G4 Play smartphone, Android 6, Google Drive, Gmail installed.'

Canon Digital Rebel T3 DSLR (SDHC card on-board)

Apple iPad Mini

As you can see, I have quite an assortment of hardware and software.

I am still using iPhoto (v. 9.6.1) for my photo library of about 65,000 digital photos dating back to 1998. Apple's Photos and Google's Photos lack the comprehensive organization and captioning abilities so I am forced to deem both of them, in their current respective forms, to be inadequate for my needs. For the foreseeable future, I'm sticking with iPhoto.

The Moto G4 Play is a nice, relatively inexpensive, smartphone. Problem: how do I get the Moto to connect with the iMac so I can download photos off the phone into iPhoto? There has to be a way to do this...

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
MY HARDWARE

Apple iMac -- Core i5 @ 2.9 GHz, MacOS 10.10 Yosemite, soon to be upgraded to 10.12 Sierra; DSL internet connection, Evernote app, iPhoto, Microsoft Office, Google Drive, etc.

Lenovo-Motorola Moto G4 Play smartphone, Android 6, Google Drive, Gmail installed.'

Canon Digital Rebel T3 DSLR (SDHC card on-board)

Apple iPad Mini

As you can see, I have quite an assortment of hardware and software.

I am still using iPhoto (v. 9.6.1) for my photo library of about 65,000 digital photos dating back to 1998. Apple's Photos and Google's Photos lack the comprehensive organization and captioning abilities so I am forced to deem both of them, in their current respective forms, to be inadequate for my needs. For the foreseeable future, I'm sticking with iPhoto.

The Moto G4 Play is a nice, relatively inexpensive, smartphone. Problem: how do I get the Moto to connect with the iMac so I can download photos off the phone into iPhoto? There has to be a way to do this...

First thing is that when you go to Sierra, you will lose iphoto. It will be replaced with Photos. Dont worry if it will take care if migration for you.

If you can get your phone to act like a usb thmb drve when plugged in (is it MTP or mass storage mode?) Then it should appear to photos in the same way as when you plug in your canon dslr to import from that.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
If iPhoto winds up being disabled, then I will have to downgrade back to Yosemite. I cannot leave iPhoto now. Photos is not up to par for my needs.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
It is my understanding from Apple support forums that iPhoto still runs under Sierra.

Wingsley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
I do not understand how I make my iMac recognize the Moto as a USB drive.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
It is my understanding from Apple support forums that iPhoto still runs under Sierra.

The installer removed it from my machine when I upgraded.
[doublepost=1501826968][/doublepost]
I do not understand how I make my iMac recognize the Moto as a USB drive.

In the phone settings, you change the USB mode to MTP or USB MassStorage (check your manual). Then when you plug it into your mac with a usb cable, it appears like you have plugged a drive in. You can then go into iphoto and import thebphotis the same as you would from your other cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.