Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MalcW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Hungerford Berkshire
I'm using a mid 2102 MBP with SSD running Yosemite. I learned yesterday that the latest iTunes update 12.8.1 breaks Safari when running Yosemite. This I fixed by removing a framework file as has been recommended on various forums but the same issue occurs with iPhoto. I know I should have updated to Photos but I happen to like iPhoto. Besides it was running fine before this iTunes update!

The fix for Safari DOES NOT WORK for iPhoto. Anyone any suggestions?

I could just wait until Apple puts out a fix but are they really bothered about someone like me running iPhoto on Yosemite?

RoseMD314

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2018
Prescott Valley, AZ
The easiest way to get past the problem is after removing the .framework file, if you have a backup from before you updated iTunes or another Mac that runs iTunes 12.8, just replace the .framework file with the older version of the file.

Removing the MobileDevice.framework will cause all apps that access you mobile devices (iphone, iPads and iPods) not to be able to access them because you removed the file that handles that function.

This has fixed the problem so far at the local Apple Authorized Service Provider where my husband works. I tried this with a customer that had the problem and a backup, everything worked fine. My customer without a backup was stuck with upgrading.

The quick fix that Apple has come up so far of trying to install 12.8 using terminal has not worked completely. The install errors out and you cannot uninstall iTunes. Some customers have been fine with upgrading, but some customers are not able to or just don't want to.

I do hope this helps

MalcW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Hungerford Berkshire
The easiest way to get past the problem is after removing the .framework file, if you have a backup from before you updated iTunes or another Mac that runs iTunes 12.8, just replace the .framework file with the older version of the file.

Removing the MobileDevice.framework will cause all apps that access you mobile devices (iphone, iPads and iPods) not to be able to access them because you removed the file that handles that function.

This has fixed the problem so far at the local Apple Authorized Service Provider where my husband works. I tried this with a customer that had the problem and a backup, everything worked fine. My customer without a backup was stuck with upgrading.

The quick fix that Apple has come up so far of trying to install 12.8 using terminal has not worked completely. The install errors out and you cannot uninstall iTunes. Some customers have been fine with upgrading, but some customers are not able to or just don't want to.

I do hope this helps
[doublepost=1544982186][/doublepost]Can you use Time Machine to get the required file. I don’t have another machine running an earlier version of iTunes

Bmwill

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2018
I'm using a mid 2102 MBP with SSD running Yosemite. I learned yesterday that the latest iTunes update 12.8.1 breaks Safari when running Yosemite. This I fixed by removing a framework file as has been recommended on various forums but the same issue occurs with iPhoto. I know I should have updated to Photos but I happen to like iPhoto. Besides it was running fine before this iTunes update!
The fix for Safari DOES NOT WORK for iPhoto
(Snip....)

I run Yosemite 10.10.5 on MacBook Air (early 2014), with Safari v. 10.1.2, iTunes 12.8.1.2 and Photos 1.0.1. iTunes updated dec 14 2018.
Devices (iPhone, iPad) now do not register in Photos or iTunes. (They are seen in USB device tree in System Information). In iTunes, in preferences, then devices, the backups box is blank - should contain at least 10 for 5 different devices ....
Safari ‘cannot be opened because of a problem’ (no window comes up).

iTunes 12.8. will not install: ‘Newer version already installed’. Installed iTunes will not delete:’required by OSX’.

So quite a few Apps seem affected by the update - which cannot be reverted.....?
bmwill

sannkelly

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2018
I'm in the same boat. Safari was fixed by deleting the problem file but iPhoto will not open. An attempt to import my iPhoto Library to Photos failed.. got stuck at 3% and never moved.

worldvirus

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2016
I managed to get safari and iPhoto working by adding the two dynlibs needed rather than deleting the .framework file, that pointed to them.
Return the .framework file back to where it was and instead download the zip file here
https://www54.zippyshare.com/v/o4CKXH9r/file.html
unzip and use the terminal command included to move the files to your usr library. that will fix it

MalcW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Hungerford Berkshire
I managed to get safari and iPhoto working by adding the two dynlibs needed rather than deleting the .framework file, that pointed to them.
Return the .framework file back to where it was and instead download the zip file here
https://www54.zippyshare.com/v/o4CKXH9r/file.html
unzip and use the terminal command included to move the files to your usr library. that will fix it
[doublepost=1545067380][/doublepost]Thanks. Gimme a couple of days (I’m out of town at the mo) and I’ll try that. I like the idea of Apple re releasing 12.8.1. Might be worth a try first?

MalcW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Hungerford Berkshire
It appears that Apple have indeed re-done the iTunes update. The Up-update appears to have fixed the problem. Both Safari and iPhoto are working again. Here's hoping nothing else emerges!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.