Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nd67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2002
I'm sure I'm not the only one with hundreds of digital photos in my iPhoto Library. I've made individual folders for each event and have copied the corresponding photos into each new folder. My issue is that a copy of each photo always stays in the photo library. Every time I launch iPhoto I have to wait while my machine mounts all of these photos to iPhoto. Can't I just store all of these old photos in individual folders and have them come up only when I click on their folder? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? When I try to delete a photo from the library it erases it from both the library and the individual folder where I had it stored by subject.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

bubbamac

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2003
There are several shareware/freeware apps out there that I think might help with what you're trying to do.

The one that comes to mind is iPhoto Buddy. It allows you to have different libraries on the same system, and choose between them.

I was going to try it, but decided not to. iPhoto's limitations force me to burn my excess photos to CD's - forcing me to stay organized.

Also, to speed up iPhoto, try going to the preferences, and turning off the drop shadow and border effects.

Go to http://www.versiontracker.com, and poke around. You'll find something...

kangaroo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
i think there's a rumor that iPhoto is going to be updated soon. if so, those issues may be dealt with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.