Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

couch potato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
i have a new cannon rebel. whenever i hook it to my comp., no special cannon apps revognize it. so i use iPhoto, which doesn't bother me. but whenever i try to import pics from my camera, they take 10-12 seconds each, and when i have 70 pics, this is quite time consuming. is it this slow for everyone else? i have a 2ghz g5 and panther, with ram a plenty.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
USB is slow not your computer. Get usb 2 or firewire camera.

::Update::
Media readers are faster then hooking your camera to your computer also.

couch potato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
what do you mean its not slow. i know i got usb2 and firewire, but im wondering if anyone else gets these download speeds.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
no, that speed is not normal. I use a camera with usb 1 with iphoto on a 1 ghz 12" Powerbook and it takes nowhere near that time. Maybe one or two seconds per photo.

Sorry that I cannot be of help - all i can do is to confirm for you that your situation does, in fact, need help. :-/

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by QCassidy352
I use a camera with usb 1 with iphoto on a 1 ghz 12" Powerbook and it takes nowhere near that time. Maybe one or two seconds per photo.

I would say that speed is normal if you're using USB 1.1. The rebel is what, a six megapixel camera? my 4MP camera takes about 6-7 sec a pic using a USB 1.1 media reader. i would say it greatly depends on the camera's picture quality.

I would suggest getting a USB 2.0 media card reader.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
yes, that makes sense. Though it is worth noting that I am importing highest resolution pics from a 3 MP camera. So 10-12 seconds for coach potato still seems pretty bad... no?

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
just remember that if you don't have USB2 built into your mac, you won't get anything out of buying a USB2 card read, unless you have a powermac. in that case, visit iogear and buy a USB2 PCI card like i did. my Sony DSC-F717 has USB2 out on it, and that's just what i did... it's just too bad the camera doesn't like the pci card and freezes. sony wants to charge me $100 for a service check. for that price, i will just wait an extra 5 minutes for my pictures to transfer.

kettle

macrumors 65816
Re: iPhoto downloading sllllooooowwww

Originally posted by couch potato
i have a new cannon rebel. whenever i hook it to my comp., no special cannon apps revognize it. so i use iPhoto, which doesn't bother me. but whenever i try to import pics from my camera, they take 10-12 seconds each, and when i have 70 pics, this is quite time consuming. is it this slow for everyone else? i have a 2ghz g5 and panther, with ram a plenty.
I have a Canon 300D (dRebel), I think you need to set the "communication" setting to "Normal" to use the canon "File Viewer Utility" if you set it to "PTP" it will work better with iPhoto. Another option is to select Preferences in the App "Image Capture" and set it to open the Canon File Viewer when the Camera is connected.

As for speed, I think the best option is fast 40x CompactFlash and a Firewire CompactFlash media reader. I don't think a USB reader will be much quicker than the Camera itself, it will save your camera battery though.:)

I hope you enjoy your camera, I'm completely in love with mine.

P.S. the latest Firmware for the 300D is 1.1.1 (on the canon site) you can check this on the fourth Tab after pressing the menu button on the back of yer baby.

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
no, that speed is not normal. I use a camera with usb 1 with iphoto on a 1 ghz 12" Powerbook and it takes nowhere near that time. Maybe one or two seconds per photo.

Sorry that I cannot be of help - all i can do is to confirm for you that your situation does, in fact, need help. :-/

are you sure you're not plugging it into the USB2 port? the 1GHz 12" has a USB2 port.

kettle

macrumors 65816
seems normal

The download time would depend on the size of the photo data. On the 300D a raw file can be 7MB. In the last batch I downloaded the largest jpeg was 5.9MB 3072x2048.

I just tested a 6.2MB Raw and it took 41 seconds. A 2.7MB jpeg took 17 seconds. A small 744kb 1536x1024 took 5 seconds.

That was with a 128MB 20x compactflash card. I'll see if my 40xCF is any quicker over USB, or if the USB is the bottle neck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.