Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Firefly1013

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Neither does Preview's import function. ALL three see my iPhone 4, but tell me I have no photos on it (I have 22 photos I can see just fine on the phone). I'm running OSX 10.6.8 on my Macbook and have iPhoto 11-- I've done all the latest updates, tried trashing the plist files for Image Capture and iPhoto... nothing. Very frustrating! It worked just fine prior to the iOS 5 upgrade on my phone. Can anybody help? :confused:

Last edited:

Firefly1013

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Yikes, if no one else is having this issue, now I'm really worried!

I'm thinking that I have three options at this point: 1)restore my phone through iTunes as a "New Device" and see if that works. I hate to lose all my data though, and have to re-install all my apps etc. 2) Upgrade to Lion and see if that fixes the issue. 3) Wait. Is it possible this connectivity issue will be fixed with future updates? I suppose I could also try and find different photo importing software, but I really would rather not.

Would love to hear some advice about this!

Firefly1013

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Thought I would post my solution here in case it helps anyone else. Turns out it was a corrupt picture file, which I was only able to see with the Phone View app. I tried many different ways to delete the file off the phone, with no success. So, I did a restore to factory settings through iTunes, then loaded my calendars, contacts, music etc back onto the phone. It seems to have solved the issue.

xcell

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2005
IMPORT ERROR
Same problem with me: Image Capture detects my iPhone (3GS) and the pictures on it (althought without preview) but the picts can't be imported (f.e. to Desktop) - which was possible before I upgraded to iOS 5...

wbthreenames

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
same problem with a large photoroll

Hello, Similar problem, but with an entire photoroll of 1000 photos. I should delete a few anyway, but the issue of iphoto, and image capture not seeing the images is there, same as yours.

This includes photos that I had previously imported to iphoto, so its not corrupt files, viewed in image capture so it is not a checked 'hide images already imported' box in iphoto. I can email photo's from iphoto and open them in mail and elsewhere.
I get a dotted line around a square instead of a thumbnail.

Am trying software restore and hoping the backup will contain the hidden images...

wbthreenames

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
iphone photos

no joy. The restore hasn't made them visible. I'm going to email myself the latest photos that haven't been uploaded before the problem started and then delete the photoroll.

wbthreenames

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
a solution

After emailing myself all the photo's that hadn't imported and deleting them from within the iPhone, in iPhoto I unmounted the iphone; after disconnecting it it was still showing so I gave it a right click to unmount.

In Image Capture> Browse Devices I unchecked iphone connected.

Then I reconnected and the undownloaded, undeleted photos popped up.

Whether it was deleting a corrupted file or just the disconnecting of the phantom iPhone I don't know. But it seems to work okay now.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Image capture is detecting my iPhone 4S but its not showing any of my 2000+ pictures on my iPhone! How do I import? I'm using Mountain Lion.

ETERNA-Z

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2006
Try a different computer....

Had this problem on my iPhone 4 and mavericks. Took it to a different machine I use and dropbox actually asked me right away to import images, so i did. No problems. I never checked to see if other apps saw them too, but I would bet they would.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Neither does Preview's import function. ALL three see my iPhone 4, but tell me I have no photos on it (I have 22 photos I can see just fine on the phone). I'm running OSX 10.6.8 on my Macbook and have iPhoto 11-- I've done all the latest updates, tried trashing the plist files for Image Capture and iPhoto... nothing. Very frustrating! It worked just fine prior to the iOS 5 upgrade on my phone. Can anybody help? :confused:
For me, Image Capture can see that there are JEPG files, with names such as img_1433, but they are videos that I accidentally create. (I used to take lots more pictures before something changed and I keep getting videos - I think my finger must touch stuff I can't see without glasses and only get real photos half of the time). I can open my camera and see them there, but can't see them on my Mac. I can delete them with image capture on my phone, but can't with my wife's (I think that has something to do with having her pictures on iCloud). (Boy I hate editing my posts with Chrome , when I hit delete, the cursor jumps around).

lizzard9

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2017

I know this is old thread, but I've had the exact issue on iPhone 6 with iOS 10.3.2. I tried different Macs to no joy. iCloud doesn't let you download all photos, only one by one!

I've connected to a Windows PC and was able to access all my photos. Hope this helps.

subd

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
In case this helps anyone, I had a very similar problem. Image capture would recognise the iphone 5s, but wouldn't see any images.

By accident I discovered this method:
iPhone is plugged into computer and ImageCapture open. iphone is recognised by name but ImageCapture shows no photos.

On iPhone I go to Settings > General > Name
And here I change the name.

As soon as I did the photos appeared in ImageCapture.

I hope this helps someone

Reactions: Poindextrous

pcal

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2017
In case this helps anyone, I had a very similar problem. Image capture would recognise the iphone 5s, but wouldn't see any images.

iPhone is plugged into computer and ImageCapture open. iphone is recognised by name but ImageCapture shows no photos.

Wow, that did work. Thanks! Must be some corruption on the laptop, then.

Reactions: Poindextrous

Poindextrous

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2017
Thank you so much.

Wow. Eight years later and the same solution works!

C'mon Apple...

Lebanese

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2014
Lebanon
Thank you so much.

Wow. Eight years later and the same solution works!

C'mon Apple...

i still have the same problem albeit with a galaxy device. The Note 8 can act as a camera. It is detected by Image Capture but no photos appear. This is frustrating and it doesn't :just work"

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i still have the same problem albeit with a galaxy device. The Note 8 can act as a camera. It is detected by Image Capture but no photos appear. This is frustrating and it doesn't :just work"
What does that have to do with iOS or even Apple? o_O
[doublepost=1514330415][/doublepost]
Remember when Apple just worked?
How does something related to a Samsung phone have anything to do with Apple?

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
What does that have to do with iOS or even Apple? o_O
[doublepost=1514330415][/doublepost]
How does something related to a Samsung phone have anything to do with Apple?
I infer that he's using a Mac and Mac's photo app if he is using Image Capture. It could be useful information in narrowing where the trouble is. (Probably not IOS).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I infer that he's using a Mac and Mac's photo app if he is using Image Capture. It could be useful information in narrowing where the trouble is. (Probably not IOS).
Well, there's the part that this thread is in an iOS forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.