Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
My first foray into digital photography was easy.

Last June I picked up the store's last Olympus Tough TG310 at about half the regular price, before they rolled out the TG320. I snapped a few pictures, then plugged it into the Mac Mini, and iPhoto opened up. I downloaded the photos and left it connected while the battery charged up.

Cropping and enhancing the photos was easy to work out, as was exporting them...... since then that camera has been the source of many of the photos on the Phuket Cricket Group website http://www.phuketcricketgroup.com/2011/index.php/jones-lang-lasalle-hotels-cricket-league.html and most of the pictures in match reports in the local press. We like to get them posted the day after a match or event.

Wanting better picture quality and less shutter lag, I needed an upgrade, with an optical viewfinder (back in the days of film I enjoyed using a small rangefinder camera). I settled on the FujiFilm X10, which I bought a few days ago......

Yes, yes, I know a DSLR would have been better. I was tempted to go that way, but budget constraints and size are factors for a teacher on a local wage, who gets around on a motorcycle......

I have since downloaded photos from the X10 using iPhoto, which was easy enough, though the process is not as straight forward as with the TG310. The camera has to be switched on, and does not charge through the USB.

The X10 came with the software for FinePix Viewer on a CD. Has anybody used it?

What would you recommend, stick with iPhoto, or go with FinePix Viewer?

Edit..... I have discovered that the FinePix Viewer does not work with current Macs, and that RAW files from the X10 cannot be handled by the current OS. Not that either matter for my purposes, but it would be nice if Fuji and Apple could talk nice to each other and sort the latter out.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.