Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjreynolds143

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
This may have been answered elsewhere, but if so I can't find it!

On my 256GB SSD, I have two photos libraries. The original iPhoto library/package is 3.51GB, last opened in April this year, and I have the newer Photos library/package which is only 1.7GB.

I'm a bit short of space, and if possible would like to clear out the older iPhoto library. Is it truly dead, or does Photos still use the content? Or did all the content get copied into the Photos package? I was sort of assuming that the lower size was due to the lower resolution, with the full res stuff up in the cloud. But I'm not familiar enough with Mac innards yet to risk deleting all of the photos without some sort of advice!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You should compare total photos just to make sure everything came over, but yes, Photos should import every photo from the iPhoto library. Once you have confirmed that happened you can delete the iPhoto library.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
This may have been answered elsewhere, but if so I can't find it!

On my 256GB SSD, I have two photos libraries. The original iPhoto library/package is 3.51GB, last opened in April this year, and I have the newer Photos library/package which is only 1.7GB.

I'm a bit short of space, and if possible would like to clear out the older iPhoto library. Is it truly dead, or does Photos still use the content? Or did all the content get copied into the Photos package? I was sort of assuming that the lower size was due to the lower resolution, with the full res stuff up in the cloud. But I'm not familiar enough with Mac innards yet to risk deleting all of the photos without some sort of advice!
Take a look at (/private/var/vm), you'll very likely find a SleepImage file as large as your installed memory.
In many case this file is not needed such as any computer other then portable laptops, and even then it can be done away with with a prudent backup regime.
On my Mac MIni I reclaimed 16GB of SSD space.

sjreynolds143

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
Interesting. Has the management of this file improved under Yosemite? I have the default setting for hibernatemode (3) and very occasionally have need of it when I get a bit forgetful or neglectful. However, despite having 16GB of RAM, the SleepImage file is only 1GB.

Not going to worry removing it on that basis, but curious as to why it would be so much smaller than the mem size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.