Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Didjt

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
South Coast UK
So frustrating, DVD players etc have iPlayer now but not prime source I.e. ATV2 and not able to stream from iPad or MBA, tho' sound does from iPlayer App
Any news?
Any tips?
:eek:

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Personally don't think it will ever happen, apple already make money selling BBC shows on itunes, why would they agree to give the same content away for free?

mikey4020

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
UK
I think we'll see it eventually but I have a feeling the investment is being ploughed into the YouView project at the moment. Also with the regulatory bodies the BBC have to go through it could be quite some time before we see any sort of free catch up service from the BBC making it to Apple TV.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
I think we'll see it eventually but I have a feeling the investment is being ploughed into the YouView project at the moment. Also with the regulatory bodies the BBC have to go through it could be quite some time before we see any sort of free catch up service from the BBC making it to Apple TV.
YouView has gone pretty spectacularly off the rails recently - losing chief executives, deadline slipping back to 2012 at the earliest and so on.

As for the BBC and regulatory bodies, that's not really going to be the sticking point: iPlayer is available on iPad as an app, iPhone/iPod Touch as a webapp, many DVD/BluRay players (Sony for example), Sony Bravia TVs, Nintendo Wii etc. The sticking point is that unless/until Apple create an app store for the ATV, the only way they'll integrate iPlayer is via a dedicated menu, as with Netflix in America. If Apple just aren't interested then it won't happen (although clearly it would drive UK sales of ATV2).

In the mean time, why not install XBMC and use the iPlayer plugin? It works perfectly (unlike streaming your own content off a TimeCapsule using SMB, but that's for another thread). If you use the xTV(SAF) theme you can pretend you're still in the native ATV interface too!

gazpilot

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2008
).

In the mean time, why not install XBMC and use the iPlayer plugin? It works perfectly (unlike streaming your own content off a TimeCapsule using SMB, but that's for another thread). If you use the xTV(SAF) theme you can pretend you're still in the native ATV interface too!

Have XBMC installed but not been able to find a working iplayer pluggin. Can you tell me where to get it and the install process.

Didjt

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
South Coast UK
I have no idea how to jailbreak my ATV2 or install XMBC
Don't want to trouble you too much but can you direct me to info and pro's and con's discussion of jailbreak; for instance, can you still receive software updates for ATV2 and use all other facilities?

mikey4020

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
UK
I use XBMC and a small UPNP server on my iMac (Rivet it's shareware but works with various devices like PS3 etc) to stream all my non Apple TV formatted video. The set up once jailbroken was a very simple. I also have the iPlayer plugin but your right...iPlayer integrated would definitely drive sales in the UK as it's not exactly plug n play to set this up!!

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
I have no idea how to jailbreak my ATV2 or install XMBC
Don't want to trouble you too much but can you direct me to info and pro's and con's discussion of jailbreak; for instance, can you still receive software updates for ATV2 and use all other facilities?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1095898/

Definitely say its worth it, its pretty easy too now with Greenpoison RC6 jailbreak, you can install XBMC thru the menu system no need to worry about SSH and command lines etc. I hadn't done any jailbreaking before but it only took me about half an hour from unboxing my ATV2 to having a working XBMC on it and playing back my mkv files.

More info on xbmc on iOS: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137&order=desc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.