Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ak-78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anybody know how to fix Select button on iPod 1st gen scrolling wheel? This device also lacks Clicking sound when browsing thru menus, although Clicker is ON. No Clicking meditating wheel sound.
I look allover the web and could't find solution for this issue. Even iFix it guide did't touch this topic.
I just hope it's fixable.
I took duct tape and press it against wheel itself, then gently lifted from the front panel. I see there is a four grey rubber stands for navigation buttons, actual ballbearing mechanism and central metal pin which was kind loose inside plastic control casing.
My main concern is maybe between this metal pin and MoBo is another rubber stand as a contact which got displaced or deteriorated over time. Is anyone took apart Original iPod 1st generation and it's controls, having more experience in that than me and could help? I'll appreciate it.

Last edited:

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
This is no help to you, but, wow, a 21 year-old iPod still expected to work. That's awesome.

Hope you get it working.

Reactions: ak-78

ak-78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
steve217, yeah thanks! Its works pretty decent considering its age, except this two things. I'm a little worried to tackle it myself and completely ruin the device, before digging some more info.

Attachments

• IMG_6757.JPG
    IMG_6757.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
Research FIRST, but I've heard good things about Deoxit spray for balky electrical switches.

ak-78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Thanks I'll look up in to it. Maybe this will help with Clicker sound. Considering the SELECT button, from my observation, I think it's mechanical rather then electrical issue. I've got gut feeling that central pin could't reach contact on MoBo and button, it's somewhere in between those two components. The button itself don't protrude much from scrolling wheel its rests on it.

nintendoswitch

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2021
Not sure of anything that would help, but I hope you get it working! I had a ipod nano 3rd gen that recently stopped working :(

ak-78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Thanks nintendositch!
I took it apart and find couple interesting things over the weekends.
First of all it's very hard to take control wheel off an Original iPod 1st Gen.
Control wheel assembly have four plastic stands sealed directly to the logic board and needs to be melted with a soldering iron, to get behind SELECT button contact. (Four white rivets on 2nd image upper left side)
Second I find out responsible part for Clicker sound it's located on the left side under the wheel.
It's black U shaped compact device where emitter and detector located face to face, have 2 mm gap for the jig teeth of the wheel to pass through. (3rd image shows Optical sensor)
Its called Subminiature Dual Channel Optical Sensor with Phototransistor Output. How neat)
Upon further inspection I came across lose part on the outer right side under wheel FF button.
It looks like Tantalum capacitor and reads 47 j21 (4th image)
Don't know how is it possible ,maybe it responsible for passing signal from Optical Sensor, but I was listening music on this iPod just yesterday.
Sum up all this I have to take it to technician, since I don't have any special equipment and experience in soldering micro electronics.

Attachments

• IMG_6769.JPG
    IMG_6769.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_6770.jpg
    IMG_6770.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6774.JPG
    IMG_6774.JPG
    329.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6778.JPG
    IMG_6778.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

ak-78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Will see how it's turn out.
Hope that re soldering of the capacitor will resolve Clicker issue , otherwise getting new Optical sensor which is by now very hard to find or even might be obsolete. I can't even find tantalum capacitor for 47 j21

Last edited:

gagigu

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2021
Switzerland
Hi man! Do you have any updates? I luckily have one 1st gen in daily use with its 4th battery and buttons are still going strong, but we never know...

ak-78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I had menus working, so it's a sign of the photo switch working, but no sound of scrolling thue the menus. Wonder what part is responsible for it? While I'm still waiting for a capacitor to be delivered, I desoldered four plastic stands on the back of the scroll wheel assembly, took it off and replaced tactile central button, but in the process screw up loading of HDD now have to put it in disk mode or restore/erase whole thing again. I also sourced two slightly different capacitors as a replacements. Hope they arrive in a couple of weeks and I will see which one is closest to match one that leaked. Delivery takes so long cause of this damn pandemia. Next time will upload some pictures too and make it more graphical.

Last edited:

ak-78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I've got capacitors in the mail today. Here is couple of pictures after disassembly of scroll wheel with heat gun. I replaced central button already, but having issue to put it in disk mode or reset.
In order to reset you have to push PLAY and MENU at the same time and after logo appears press REW,FF and CENTRAL button, but The thing is when I pushing PLAY and MENU it's start up's and I hear HDD spins, but right after I let go off the buttons (in order to proceed with next sequence of REV,FF,Central) it's shuts off with vertical stripe on display. Some times it's wide , others its one or two thin.
If I keep holding my fingers on the PLAY and MENU for extended time it's keeps loading to the point of folder icon, but as soon as I let it go, it's shut again.
Could someone point to the right direction , who is more tech savy, with this issue? It's seems iPod loosing contacts when I let go of this buttons and just shuts off.

Attachments

• IMG_6796.JPG
    IMG_6796.JPG
    500.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6788.JPG
    IMG_6788.JPG
    598.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6786.JPG
    IMG_6786.JPG
    486.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_6785.JPG
    IMG_6785.JPG
    420.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6782.JPG
    IMG_6782.JPG
    389.2 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6797.JPG
    IMG_6797.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.